Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do you cut back Verbena bonariesis?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 12 at 8:23

My verbena b. bloomed earlier than normal this year and with the heat and drought, it's looking a bit spent. It would take forever to deadhead all those seed heads but I thought maybe I could just cut them back half way or more. Would they regrow and bloom again if I cut them way back?

And yes I know they reseed heavily. lol

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do you cut back Verbena bonariesis?

I've heard they are supposed to regrow if you cut them back, but it didn't seem to work when I did it last year...it never hurts to try though, Tony

o

Cut them back, but make sure there is a leaf node so that they can regrow. I often cut them back to make them bushier. Mine look the same way right now and I cut some back a couple of days ago.

o

thanks runmede- I am going to cut some back this weekend and see if it works better this time. I got a LOT of reseeding this year after virtually none the last.

o

I didn't cut all of mine back. Just maybe a third of it. It still has some nectar potential and I didn't want to take that away from all the skippers.

o

currently, it's the monarchs favorite plant in my garden but also seen skippers and red admirals on it.

o

Just a thought, have any of you all tried the Verbena rigida? Native of Brazil, just shorter than the bonariesis. I picked up some seeds to try since the bonariesis gets mildew so quick down here in Central Florida with the high humidity. The rigida is supposed to be more mildew resistant.

o

I'm not familiar with that one Michael. This is the first year that I got mildew on my v. bonariensis. It still bloomed ok but is going to seed now. If v. rigida attracts butterflies as well as bonariensis, I'll add it to my wish list. I think it would be hardy for me as well. I hope someone will comment.

o

Michael, I don't know if my V. bonariensis has always had mildew but last year and this year it has had it. We get high humidity here too. I often wondered how PA rates with other states as far as humidity goes because we think it gets pretty darn humid. It's a rare summer when you can go without using the a/c. I used to plant zinnias here but they'd get so mildewy that I quit planting them. I guess the high humidity caused that too?
Cathy

o

Michael,

It does look interesting. I looked it up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Verbena rigida, Sandpaper verbena

o

My V.bonariensis is lanky & not doing well except for where it is mixed with other tall plants! I just cut most of it down to about 12" because it was all bent over!!! Never seen a cat on it but lots of nectaring!
I have V.rigida that I grew from seeds from Wildseed Farms & it is in an area that is a very hot & sunny location with little water & it thrives! I have never seen any BFs on it but the bees love it! It is perennial for me in Zone 7b.
I have Gregg's Blue Mistflower & it seems to be the favorite nectar plant of the queens & monarchs in my yard along with my tropical milkweed plants! The swallowtails & GFs prefer the Scarlet Flame zinnias & Mexican sunflowers as well as the BF bushes I have!!!
I think a lot of the preferences depend on what area you are in! I have had plants that are supposed to be great attractors that are totally ignored by BFs for me but it seems that I am constantly learning what they prefer by trial & error!

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildseed Farms -- Tuber Vervain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here