Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflymomok

I'm nervous!

butterflymomok
10 years ago

Well. . . I contacted one of the local TV stations with a tip about the Monarch release. I should be releasing about 50 Monarchs on August 2nd or 3rd. I can hold some if necessary to get the numbers up. We will see if the station responds. The last of the caterpillars are in the 5th instar. Putting them into the large rearing cage has facilitated raising and feeding them. I have pruned a lot of curassavica in the last week--down to where new growth was showing on the stems. Have lost a few cats, but not very many--less than 10. Several succumbed trying to pupate, which is new for me. They were unable to complete the final molt--so the chrysalis was formed with the skin being split, but not completely. Also found a chrysalis that apparently a hungry caterpillar mistook for a leaf. So, in all, over 200 Monarchs will have made it, pushing the summer totals to over 250! I'm wondering what fall will bring.

I'm hoping that the station will take the story of the plight of the Monarch and relate it to our area. We are in the fly zone for spring and fall migration. We have roosts in our area--mostly not reported as they occur on farming land. Educating people to a community treasure is the goal. I need one of those "Got Milkweed?" shirts. Laura, can we get them made in time?

Sandy

Comments (20)

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Sandy - let me get back with you today! I am pretty sure we can get them made fairly quickly.

May I ask which station? I have some contacts at Channel 6 and 8 (former students' parents) where I could maybe drop a note and see if we could get extra attention. What about the newspaper?

I have my own news this morning ... I will repost in a new thread! :-)

~Laura

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Keep us posted! :)

Sherry

• mostone
    10 years ago

I hope that you'll come back and post a link to the segment so we can see it! Good luck!

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura,

I sent an email to channel 6 on their website.

Sandy

• DirtyGr33nthumb808
    10 years ago

wow, I am getting excited, inspired while reading your post :-), pls. keep us posted:-)

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haven't heard anything yet. May not be interested. We will see. Meanwhile, there are over 100 chrysalides in my house! Only 16 left to pupate. And another local friend found eggs on the milkweed! This is Oklahoma, and this is a weird time for egg-laying activity.

Sandy

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

How wonderful, and what a terrific idea! Gosh, I hope that they come and do a story. Keep us posted.
    Angie

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Sandy, I am going to email one specifically that my daughter knows... he had mentioned to her that he had done a story about the Monarch's overwintering site in Mexico years ago. We'll see...

Meanwhile. I have ONE that is most likely going to eclose tomorrow. ALL of the first batch (including the one that seemed sickly) have pupated. The second batch of 31 is growing by leaps and bounds and eating a TON. I expect them to start making "J's" tomorrow or the next day.

~Laura

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Laura, my first one eclosed today. And the little dudes are pupating as of this afternoon.

Sandy

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Me too Sandy! I have one male that eclosed this morning and is still hanging and drying his wings. Pictures to follow!

I have another that appears to be preparing for eclosure also - my guess is tomorrow morning.

Of the 2nd batch I am fostering, One is now hanging in a J and the others are all getting quite large and still eating eating eating. I have a feeling it will be tonight or tomorrow that they all start hanging.

I contacted the tv station again. Hope that will produce some kind of result.

~Laura

• tnu07mom
    10 years ago

I am soooo jealous. Where I live in SC, we are usually in the path for Fall Migration, but it is such a long time to wait to enjoy this beautiful butterfly. I was able to raise four Monarchs last year in mid-September and then release them in October when most of the Monarchs are coming through. We will have a few show up earlier in the summer, just not very many. I am doing my best to get a good crop of milkweed for them to enjoy when they do visit!

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I'll be out there c plenty of Liatris, Goldenrod, Tithonia and Asters as well as Milkweed for nectar on that long trip back South.

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Looks like we've got something to be nervous about. With Laura's help, we've got some attention from the station. Will keep you updated as to what happens next. Looking tentatively at August 2nd or 3rd--10 days out from the date the largest group of caterpillars pupated. Should have at least 50 or so Monarchs to release which will make it spectacular!

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

God Bless and good luck, keep us all posted:) It should be an exhilarating show indeed!! I'm releasing mostly Black Swallowtails now, c an occasional Monarch. Going to check out Blooms and Butterflies today, an annual show held up here in Olbrich Gardens in Madison, WI. They usually have an impressive show outside as well as inside:)

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, John for the good thoughts. That Blooms and Butterflies show sounds wonderful. We need to do something like that at our local botanical garden. Think I'll suggest it!

Sandy

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well, it doesn't look like it's going to happen. Vacations at the station seem to have interfered, so I don't have to be nervous. It's been an amazing couple of weeks, with Monarch releases everyday. The last of the big group will eclose by Sunday.

Sandy

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Too bad, but congrats on all the monarch releases! You've REALLY done some work on their behalf!

Thanks!

Sherry

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Too bad, Sandy, but congrats on all the monarch releases! You've REALLY done some work on their behalf!

Thanks!

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Oh well, DUH. I feel stupid. I forgot all about your wonderful Monarch release Sandy. Sorry for that. THANK YOU for doing all that you do for the butterflies. Your work for them is so very important. (((HUGS))))
    Angie

• butterflymomok
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sherry and Angie. I kind of like being a well-kept secret, so will continue to nurture the butterflies and speak when called. Have two presentations on the horizon--one in September; and one in October. And, I don't have to worry about the weeds in the garden, nor the poison ivy that found my hand this week!

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm