Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Oregano

bob_71
12 years ago

For years, when I was shopping at nurseries in the spring, the Oregano plants were extremely popular with the insects including the smaller butterflies. I checked them out and fond that they were members of the wild mint family and a number of different varieties were available. Oreganum vulgare is the common Oregano and is a very compact perennial herb that is filled all summer long with tiny flowers. In addition to many insects, mine has been very popular with the small butterflies (hairstreaks, tailed blue, etc). This year, I ordered several other varieties and have liked them all...one, however has been spectacular even before the first butterfly arrived. It is Oreganum rotundifolium x scabrum 'Kent Beauty Oregano'.

{{gwi:499930}}

It has a drooping growth habit making it ideal in hanging baskets or tumbling over the edge of a fence...this low-growing habit also limit it's use at ground level. The pastel heavily veined "leaves" are not leaves at all but bracts. They dry well when cut at the color desired and hung upside down in a dry location. The intensity of the colors of the bracts depends on the degree of sunlight...more sun, more color.

Bob

Comments (7)

• bettyd_z7_va
    12 years ago

Oh My Goodness! It is stunning!

This one will be added to my, ever growing, wish list.

Once again, awesome photography.

Thanks so much for sharing this beauty.

Betty

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

I'm glad you posted this picture, Bob!
    I've been thinking about trying oregano for years, but, for whatever reason, never got around to ordering and planting any.
    The little flowers are beautiful!
    Sherry

• terrene
    12 years ago

I grow Oregano, and yes indeed the flowers attract a lot of pollinators. But I noticed they also attract a lot of wasps! Do yours attract wasps? The Oregano used to be right next to the parsley, so I moved it far away from the Black Swallowtail host plants, in case the wasps decided to look for caterpillars.

• bernergrrl
    12 years ago

What a beautiful oregano! I have lots of regular oregano around here, and they are usually covered by little butterflies, especially American Coppers.

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

I love 'Kent Beauty'. It is one of the "landscaping" oreganos. I had one but it didn't make it. I think it needs really good drainage and to be kept dry overwinter. I have seen some pretty decent sized ones in the area that were planted next to foundations. I may have to try it again.

Thanks for the lovely pictures,
    Elisabeth

• jeanner
    12 years ago

I wish mine looked that healthy!

Nice photos, is that with your macro lens?

• bob_71
    Original Author
    12 years ago

bettyd, thanks for your comments. This one, and the other three varieties I ordered, came from DIGGING DOG NURSERY.

Thanks again, Miss Sherry!

terrene, I have to confess that I have real difficulty determining what is a wasp, what is a bee and what is a fly! I just let nature take it's course.

Bernergrrl, unfortunately, I haven't seen any Copper's in my garden...I don't believe they make it quite this far.

Elisabeth, I'll just have to wait until this one makes it through it's first winter.

Jeanner, Canon 40D-Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro.

Thanks to all of you!

Bob

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting