Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_71

Oregano

bob_71
12 years ago

For years, when I was shopping at nurseries in the spring, the Oregano plants were extremely popular with the insects including the smaller butterflies. I checked them out and fond that they were members of the wild mint family and a number of different varieties were available. Oreganum vulgare is the common Oregano and is a very compact perennial herb that is filled all summer long with tiny flowers. In addition to many insects, mine has been very popular with the small butterflies (hairstreaks, tailed blue, etc). This year, I ordered several other varieties and have liked them all...one, however has been spectacular even before the first butterfly arrived. It is Oreganum rotundifolium x scabrum 'Kent Beauty Oregano'.

{{gwi:499930}}

It has a drooping growth habit making it ideal in hanging baskets or tumbling over the edge of a fence...this low-growing habit also limit it's use at ground level. The pastel heavily veined "leaves" are not leaves at all but bracts. They dry well when cut at the color desired and hung upside down in a dry location. The intensity of the colors of the bracts depends on the degree of sunlight...more sun, more color.

Bob

Comments (7)

Sponsored