Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What cat is this?

Posted by flutterby64 7a North Central AR (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 9:55

This is the weirdest looking cat I've ever seen. It's on a cyclamen. Looks like it may have eaten part of a leaf. It has just gone through a molt because the old skin is nearby. Anyone know what it is?

Dana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What cat is this?

It's a white marked tussock moth. It'll make a plain brown moth, but the cats are so interesting!

Sherry

o

Thank you, Sherry! It IS very cool looking, but it freaks me out a little. The two front extensions and the tail extension remind me of a scorpion of which I am terrified. I love hand raising species I've never raised before, but I think I'll pass on this one ;)

Thanks again,
Dana

o

Hi Sherry

I just found these tiny cats on my Purple Milkweed. I'm thinking they my be White Marked Tussock because I see long hairs on the head and tail like the later instar cat pictured above. What do you think?

Regardless of what they are, I have a dilemma. I can't let them destroy the milkweed. What should I do with them?

Thanks,
Dana

o

Wow. So sorry to hear this caterpillar problem. :-(

o

Dana, I think they're most likely milkweed tussock moth caterpillars. This species lays masses of eggs in clusters, so the big numbers of your cats fits the ID.

Check out the link. What do you think?

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Milkweed Tussock Moth Early Instar Caterpillars

o

Thank you for the link, Sherry. Yes, I think you are correct.

Dana

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here