Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Black Swallowtail chrysalides - can they be moved?

Mary Leek
12 years ago

Once the BST chrysalis hardens, can it be moved to a slanted board, secured by a stick pin? Not sticking the actual chrysalis, of course, but using whatever material it has attached itself to as the stick material.

I've raised them in 32oz clear plastic food containers and feel I need to get them into a larger container for eclosing.

Mary

Comments (9)

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sherry,

Thank you for your helpful reply. What I'm worried about is the emerging BF having proper room to expand their wings. When they eclose, will they climb up on something to pump up their wings? I don't want to take a chance on the wings becoming crumpled before they dry.

I wasn't very clear and didn't mean to cut up the plastic container, only to use the leaf stalk or the piece of paper towel to stick the pin into to hold the chrysalides up above the bottom of the cage. They're quite close to the bottom of the 32 oz container right now. I have a large net cage I thought I'd move them to. Being close to the bottom of a container for eclosure is OK?

Mary

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

The newly emerged black swallowtails will climb on something and hang upside down for a while, Mary. Then, once their wings are moderately dried, if they can climb higher, they always do. Then they hang out some more before they start to flutter around wanting to leave.
    It would be fine to move the leaf stalk or paper towel to the mesh cage. Mesh cages are great for chrysalides, because they can easily hang onto the sides and top.
    Sherry

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sherry,

I'm getting ready to move a lot of the BST chrysalides and I'm a bit nervous. I want to be certain I understand your instructions. Their chrysalis can actually be placed on a flat surface and they'll still be able to eclose properly as long as they have something to climb up on? If they emerge all wet, their wings won't become crumpled if they're on a flat surface? Isn't this strange. In the past two years, I've raised probably 60-80 BST's and I don't know that I've ever seen one emerging from their chrysalis.

If I use your method of cutting out little indentations/pockets from a large square of 3 inch thick foam, I set a chrysalis into each indentation with the flared end up; that's the top of it while it's hanging? It won't hurt them to handle their chrysalis after it's hardened if I'm gentle?

This makes me so nervous but I need to remove them as I have so many now still active in the feeding cages.

BTW, I have 3 giant swallowtail chrysalides and these 3 are tying up a large butterfly cage! :-) I have two of the cages, so I won't attempt to move these little guys. I just hope they emerge this season.

My thanks once again, Sherry. What would we all do without your wonderful expertise in these matters.

Mary

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Thank you, Mary!
    You don't have to make a foam 'cradle' for them if you don't want to. If you prefer, you can just lay them on the floor of the cage. As long as the mesh (or stick or whatever) is close by, where they don't have to go far to climb up and hang on, they'll be fine. I like making the foam rubber 'cradles' because I can then prop the cradle against the side of the cage so that the chrysalis is facing the natural way. With black swallowtails, it'd be either heads up or sideways, since that's how they normally pupate. With gulf frits and others that hang in the "J" I prop the cradle against the side of the cage so that their heads are hanging downward. But I don't think it's necessary, many people just lay them on the floor of the cage any old way and they do emerge healthy. If you lay them on the floor of the cage, just lay them around the sides of the cage, close to the mesh or sticks. Be sure you scratch around the silk and pull it up from the silk, so you won't puncture the chrysalis. It's really easy to do, you'll see, and your BSTs will emerge healthy!
    Sherry

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sherry,

Thanks once again for helping me. I'm sure I've been a bit of a pain in the backside but as always, your gracious answer is very much appreciated.

~Mary

• Tammy Meltzer
    6 years ago

Tagging on here... if the chrysalis is horizontal at the top of the mesh container, is that ok or should i move it to the bottom of thr mesh container and put a stick in for it to climb when ready?

• Jacob Berg
    6 years ago

Its fine for it to be like that, as long as it has enough room to pump up its wing itll be fine.

• Tammy Meltzer
    6 years ago

Thanks! Before it emerges should we add a stick for climbing and the sugar water just in case it emerges when we are not home?

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone