Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
docmom_mn_zone_5

You never know where they'll finally show up!

docmom_gw
12 years ago

I have been searching for Monarch eggs or cats for weeks without seeing hide nor hair of them. Yesterday I went to have my eyes checked, and wouldn't you know it, there was a single, ratty old milkweed growing out of the pavement at the edge of the parking lot. I was talking to my fiance on my cell, so I wandered over half out of habit, more than expecting to find anything. As I got close I realized the leaves had big chunks out of them. I didn't allow myself to get excited, because what kind of stupid Monarch would lay eggs in such a godforsaken spot? But, there at the edge of one hole, was a 5th instar cat happily munching away! And when I checked the other leaves, I found four eggs! I am over the moon! Now, if there is a 5th instar cat around, that means there have been Monarchs around for a couple of weeks at least. So, the hunt is on!

Comments (4)

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Congrats, docmom!
    I'm amazed, too, at some of the spots they pick to lay eggs. Maybe she laid them on what was a fresh, little MW sprout at the time, and it grew to the ratty ole mess!
    Anyway, the fun now begins!
    Sherry

• jeanner
    12 years ago

I found a third(ish) instar this morning. I've been searching for eggs for weeks but still haven't found any. I feel bad that only one made it, I know there had to have been more than that :(

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

I found more eggs and hatchlings on my butterfly weed today - but I'm scared to try to capture them since the last experience wasn't successful. But as I type, I can see red wasps out patrolling my gardens again. :-(

What to do?

~Laura

• mechelle_m
    12 years ago

Laura,

I have had some luck with the wasp traps, Raid makes one and I have had luck with the portable bug zapper. It looks like a plastic tennis racket, but has a metal grid that is powered by 2 D cell batteries. You just have to be able to tap the wasp with the powered grid and at the very least the wasp is stunned enough that it can be stepped on and a few have been taken out with the zapper. I got mine at Harbor Freight Tools, here in Houston. They are online, harborfreight.com and the item is called "electric fly swatter" and it is less than $5, don't know what their shipping charges are, but they are available.

Mechelle

Sponsored