Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Wanderlust

Liz
10 years ago

Sorry for another newbie question, but I'm an anxious 1st time momma!

One of my BST cats has developed wanderlust.He keeps circling the walls of the encosure. (I've transferred 2 cats to a mesh cage.) I honestly think they are not ready to pupate yet, but I propped up a couple sticks about 1/2" diameter anyway. They are maybe 1 1/2" long, and today is day 11, still a couple of days early for pupation. There was still parsley in the vase for him to eat, and his brother is still sitting on it. The 3d cat I kept in the original plastic box with some store-bought organic parsley. He ate a bunch and seems OK, but I didn't want to give it to all 3, just in case. The 2 quiet ones aren't eating, just sitting there, like yesterday AM. What's up with this guy? I've tried transferring him to the parsley, but he won't stay put.

Comments (10)

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Just leave them be and let them do their thang! :o) Wanderlust is a sure sign of impending pupation. Watch for the gut purge I told you about. Sometimes, they use the sticks, and sometimes they don't. Don't worry either way. Just keep food available to them until you see that they are attached for pupation. There are no hard and fast rules about time especially when it comes to Swallowtails. If you have some that pupate in the fall, they will likely overwinter as chrysalides. If they overwinter as chrysalides, you should keep them out in the garage overwinter so that they won't eclose too soon. Keep us posted.

• Liz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sho' nuff, all 3 are now straying. The first one seems to have settled on a spot on the frame of the cube, in an angle where two sides come together. No gut purge yet (not that I'm looking forward to it.)
    Liz

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Congrats, congrats!! I just released 3 full grown 5th instars into a safe location, where they can eat and finally crawl off to do their thang...
    I have more than two doz. 1-2 instar larvae I'm raising on Fennel as well. Hope I have enough Fennel...
    Can older cats switch to Parsley?

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

I'm certain that they "can" switch to parsley John. I guess the real question is whether or not they "will" switch. I guess all you can do is try. Some caterpillars can be finicky.
    Angie

• Liz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow, two dozen? I had trouble keeping up with my three! My three plants were decimated, and I don't know what I'm going to feed the two babies that I have coming along now!
    Liz

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I'll dig some Fennel up in my friend's garden (c his permission, of course). He'll be glad to help out, and he's guaranteed pesticide free.
    Try an outdoor farmer's market or small garden ctr that carries spray-free herbs and veggies.
    Avoid big-box stores and grocery stores that use Heaven-knows-what on their herbs.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

John,

Before you run out of fennel, offer them some parsley along with it. I've never had a problem with feeding BSTs a varied diet.

Sandy

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Thanks, Sandy. I'll have to see if that vendor is back next week at the farmer's mkt. She had fat Parsley plants for a song...

• Liz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My cats are all "hanging out" now. Waiting for the chrysalis stage...
    Liz

• wifey2mikey
    10 years ago

Sandy I agree. My Black Swallowtails have easily taken to almost everything I've offered them. They will switch FROM Rue, to Parsley, to Fennel, to Dill without any trouble. Now.. I have had a few who didn't seem particularly fond of switching TO Rue. Interestingly enough this year the female seems to prefer laying on the Rue over anything else. I've been out there now four times when she's been laying and she goes straight to the Rue and ignores everything else. The Black Swallowtails grow slower on the Rue it seems but otherwise they do well.

~Laura

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!