Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Silver spotted skipper

Liz
10 years ago

I am deeply envious of all you folks who get such a variety of butterflies in your yards, not to mention beauties like the spicebush and zebra swallowtails. I have to make do with the little guys, mostly, at least for now. Still, I thought I'd post a picture of our #2 visitor, after cabbage whites. These silver spotted skippers are very common here, since their host plant is black locust. Black locusts are actually invasive species here, growing everyplace, but that's no reason not to appreciate the skippers.
Cheers,
Liz

Comments (5)

• monkeybelle
    10 years ago

I just saw my first silver spotted of the year this morning. I love them! What part of NJ are you in? I'm on the cusp of Camden and Gloucester counties, and so far have a ton of cabbage whites, with a few tiger swallowtails and a monarch. I usually see quite a few spicebush swallowtails, but none so far. No American ladies/pained ladies either and there were many last year. Its only been about 2 weeks since activity has started to pick up. Hopefully it makes it your way as well!

Sandy.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Beautiful picture of the SSS and the coneflowers look great!

Sherry

• Liz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sandy,
    It is so nice to meet a fellow Jersey girl! So you get spicebush swallowtails near you? I am dying to plant some spicebush, although I am apprehensive that the deer will eat them. Has that been a problem for you?

I am in Monmouth County. This is my first year gardening for butterflies, and a year ago I could only recognize the cabbage whites, yellow swallowtails, and monarchs. I have learned a few more since then.

The only butterflies I have definitively found in my yard this year are:
    1.Cabbage Whites
    2. Silver spotted and Zabulon skippers
    3. Eastern tailed blue
    4. Clouded sulfur
    5. Tiger swallowtail and
    6. Black swallowtail

Last year I had quite a few red spotted purples also.

Pretty ordinary stuff for me so far, and sadly, no monarchs. I haven't really planted milkweed yet, though. What has been turning up for you?

I am very excited to be raising my first black swallowtails this summer. It has been the highlight of the season for me.
    Liz

• monkeybelle
    10 years ago

Hi Liz,
    It sounds like you're off to a better start than I am! I'm in a residential neighborhood so deer in my little 4-avenue development are not a problem. We're surrounded by a golf course, large wooded park, and several creeks so that is where most of the wildlife stays thankfully, and I suspect where a lot of the butterflies are coming from. I don't have spicebush myself, but a couple of my neighbors do. Its on my "eventually will get to" list!

This is my third year planting for butterflies. I raised my first monarchs last year and was also the first year I was successful in planting milkweed. It was so exciting! The milkweed, butterfly bush, and pink zinnias seem to be the most active spots in the yard. I also grow coneflower but they don't tend to stay on it for very long (unlike the goldfinches...)

So far this year: a ton of cabbage whites, some tigers, one monarch, silver spotted and a couple other skippers. Patiently waiting for others to join the party! Last year I had some clearwing hummingbird moths-very cool creatures.

Sandy

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

That is a beautiful photo. I love the SSS. Come to think of it, I have already seen quite a few of them in my yard, and it isn't usual for me to see them often. Wonder if they are having a boom year?
    Angie

Sponsored