Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frani31

Sightings of Monarchs

frani31
10 years ago

I live in Hughesville, Pa. and I am still looking for the Monarchs in our area. I have butterfly weed planted in my garden and last year I actually found 3 Monarch caterpillars on the plant. All three matured and I was able to release them on a beautiful sunny day.

Comments (8)

• butterflyman
    10 years ago

Finally - two males showed up this week in St. Louis MO. Still waiting for the females to lay some eggs.

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

They've been almost steady up here in Wi; I see one every other day or so.

• caterwallin
    10 years ago

Fran, I live about an hour's drive south of you. I have yet to see a Monarch here this year. All types of butterflies have been very scant in Snyder County this year. The only cats I've gotten so far that I know of are some Pipevine Swallowtails. I have lots of tropical milkweed and some swamp milkweed out for the Monarchs but if things keep up the way they've been, they might only serve as nectar plants this summer. I've never had tropical milkweed come up from seed before like it has this year. Other years I'd get a few TMW plants coming up from seed that had fallen to the ground the previous fall and winter, but this year I've had hundreds upon hundreds of plants come up on their own. I wouldn't have even had to wintersow any at all. I'm still hoping that at least one Monarch will show up yet this year to lay eggs on my plants out in the garden. I also have some growing in about 30 three-gallon pots.
    Cathy

• frani31
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks to all of you that answered my post. It was so much fun looking for caterpillars last year and taking them into the nursing home where I worked for 10 years. The residents enjoyed watching them hatch out and helping me to release them. I am sad that I haven't seen any this year. Not a good sign.

• butterflymomok
    10 years ago

Don't give up yet, Frani, there's still time, and from my observations, they are very late this year.

Sandy

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I've just seen one, but was lucky to have her lay eggs. I hope there are more hiding that will come out of the woodwork when mine eclose and start looking for mates.

Martha

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

I discovered a 5th instar cat at work this morning, and a mid 4th instar late yesterday morning...Things are picking up.
    Plus the BST ELF was back; there are eggs on my Bronze Fennel both at home and work.
    I love my day job:o)

• flora_sassafrass
    10 years ago

Sadly, I have not seen one Monarch as of late. In fact, I have not seen very many butterflies so far. I think I have only seen 2 Red Admirals, where the previous year they were plentiful in late Spring. Very unusual, and concerning.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting