Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First batch of BST eggs

Posted by beccalmt central Fl (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 11:00

Hey, I have been trying to attract BST for the past 5 months and I finally have my first 6 eggs. Super excited!
I also had a large batch of Monarchs caterpillars that ate all of my milkweed leaves and had to do some research for something else they eat. I discovered summer squash they will eat in 5th instar (only) I had 16 caterpillars successfully pupate while squash being available to eat.I was really surprised of the success rate.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First batch of BST eggs

Congrats, congrats on the black swallowtail eggs!

I didn't know that monarchs would eat squash leaves in any instar, so thanks for the information!

The gulf frit and the zinnia are beautiful!

Sherry

o

I just took another look on fennel plant and its loaded with about 25 more eggs. I tried taken a photo of them all but didn't come out that great. Will post when they are bigger. Super excited, they will keep me busy while the milkweed grows back.

Yes the squash literally saved them from starving. I searched on this forum and one forum had a link to "Monarch watch" forum and had information about them eating squash.

o

Congrats, how fun for you? I have been waiting for black swallowtail eggs/catepillars also, I checked my log from last year, I did not see any til July 20 so I am hoping in a couple weeks I will find some finally.

o

Wow, 25 eggs! How wonderful! And very beautiful pic of butterfly and Zinnias!

BSTs are such fun and easy butterflies to raise, except for the ones that decide to over-winter which require a bit more maintenance (at least up here where we have loooong winters).

I hope to find some more Black Swallowtails. I've only raised 2 so far this year, and those were both collected as 5th instar cats that were on the Rue. I have numerous of their host plants, and can never find any larvae when I look.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here