Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
panoply76

Strange cat on my fennel-put the dogs on it or let it be?

Panoply76
9 years ago

I have fennel loaded with black swallowtail cats, and that's great. BUT, I also have a cat like I've never seen before. It is brown on the underside, then has a bright yellow/white stripe running along it's whole length and above the stripe it is a much darker, bordering on black, shade of brown. It is also not at all shaped like the cats I am familiar with (mainly swallowtails and monarchs) being far slimmer than the others. Not a tubular shape at all.
Any idea what it may be? I'm a bit of a Luddite but if I had to I could get someone to take a picture of it and post it here. I'm hoping one of y'all will know what it is.

Thank You & God Bless,
Pan

Comment (1)

• bernergrrl
    9 years ago

I don't know what it is, but I usually let things be unless I know for sure it's destructive and doesn't help out the food web (like Japanese Beetles).

If it's not destroying your fennel, I'd leave it so that perhaps predators will take that and not your BST caterpillars. You could remove it and put it nearby--it sounds like some type of moth, so it might eat many kinds of plants.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County