Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange cat on my fennel-put the dogs on it or let it be?

Posted by Panoply76 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 3, 14 at 11:10

I have fennel loaded with black swallowtail cats, and that's great. BUT, I also have a cat like I've never seen before. It is brown on the underside, then has a bright yellow/white stripe running along it's whole length and above the stripe it is a much darker, bordering on black, shade of brown. It is also not at all shaped like the cats I am familiar with (mainly swallowtails and monarchs) being far slimmer than the others. Not a tubular shape at all.
Any idea what it may be? I'm a bit of a Luddite but if I had to I could get someone to take a picture of it and post it here. I'm hoping one of y'all will know what it is.

Thank You & God Bless,
Pan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange cat on my fennel-put the dogs on it or let it be?

I don't know what it is, but I usually let things be unless I know for sure it's destructive and doesn't help out the food web (like Japanese Beetles).

If it's not destroying your fennel, I'd leave it so that perhaps predators will take that and not your BST caterpillars. You could remove it and put it nearby--it sounds like some type of moth, so it might eat many kinds of plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here