Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
creative_poison

I accidentally kept an infected chrysalis?

Creative_Poison
9 years ago

So, I'm pretty new to keeping caterpillars/moths/butterflies. I have a small 'cage' that I'm using that i borrowed from my mothers play group as they weren't using it. This is temporary until I get a better one. Anyway, i have kept caterpillars before, but this time it's more serious. I'm actually really into it this time! I decided to start with cinnabar moths as they're really common where i live, i have 16 caterpillars and i made sure i cleaned any plants i put in the cage and kept their original plant as they were quite small.
So, back to my point, my sister found a chrysalis and wanted to keep it. I agreed, since i didn't see any harm. But turns out it was infected.. Let me explain, it was kinda light when we first found it, but it had a few dark patches. I couldn't find a colour match to any type of caterpillar! I figured it must be dead but kept it just in case, as there were no visible cracks or holes. But today, i was checking the caterpillars and was surprised to see tiny "flying ants". I killed them all, not knowing if they were harmful to the caterpillars or not. It's only now that I've researched it that i realise... They aren't ants, but parasites. -sigh- I removed the chrysalis, not suspecting it was the cause. I thought it was from a plant, but it was an infected chrysalis. I'm definitely going to be more careful now!
Anyway, I'm wondering, do you think the parasitic wasps could have infected the caterpillars? Should i get rid of them? I also have a small tortoiseshell butterfly in with the caterpillars, she had just emerged from her chrysalis/cocoon when i her, she couldn't fly and had an injured wing, so i put her in he cage. Would the parasites have infected her? Should i release her in case she harms the caterpillars? Any information regarding this is REALLY appreciated! Thank you!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor