Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What butterfly/moth is this?

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 11:36

I saw this on my buttonbush yesterday. I looked up what it might be in my Peterson book and all I could find was maybe a Grape Leaffolder moth. Look at the legs.....they have orange sections on them....almost like how pollen looks on a bee.
Then I started wondering if this was a pic of 2 different things and the legs belonged to the other thing.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

photo IMG_6428cropped_zpsbb4f189c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What butterfly/moth is this?

Catherine, I had to look up eight-spotted foresters, because I'd never paid attention to the legs. I found pictures, and they do indeed have the yellow/orange on the legs that looks like bee pollen.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Eight-Spotted Forester

o

Thanks Sherry!
I saw that one in my little book, but it didn't show the legs and said that it had some yellow spots too.......so I didn't search further. But I just googled it, and sure enough, that's it!
Thanks a bunch! I can always count on you to know the answers! :)

o

Their caterpillars are cute, also! For a host plant they use the wild grapevines around here!

o

I'll have to keep my eye out for them Linda. We have tons of wild grape vines around here. In fact, too many. haha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here