Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturesfolly

Monarchs have arrived!

NaturesFolly
10 years ago

Today I saw a lone female laying eggs on the milkweed by my pond. and got 3 eggs...I was so happy to see her!!
So people in SW MI.. they are here!!

Comments (10)

• Leafhead
    10 years ago

Congrats, congrats!! I just had a Black Swallowtail lay on my parsley yesterday:)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

NaturesFolly,
    I am absolutely ecstatic that you've seen a Monoarch and that she's laying eggs. When I heard about the horrible decline in numbers of Monarchs overwintering in Mexico last winter, I made it a goal to find and raise as many Monarchs as I could. I'm hoping to break my previous record of 50 butterflies released in one season. So far, I haven't seen any signs of Monarch activity. Where exactly are you in Michigan? I live very near a large patch of common milkweed and I also have my own A. incarnata and A. tuberosa that are available for hosting or nectaring. Will you be raising your Monarchs in cages? or leaving them on the milkweed?

I am sooo excited that they are hear. I hope they find their way to Grand Rapids. Please oh please oh please oh please.

Martha

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Congratulations to you!! I hope to see one here, eventually!

Sherry

• ericwi
    10 years ago

Nice to hear some good news. I have seen one or two in Madison, but there are no eggs to be found in our yard at this time.

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Congrats to you!!! So exciting when they finally show up. :)

• mostone
    10 years ago

I just saw the first Monarch in the yard yesterday. I'm hoping that will mean some eggs on the milkweed soon.

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

How lovely to hear this wonderful news. Finally, reports of Monarch sightings.

Please keep us updated.

Mary

• NaturesFolly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Docmom, I gave you some eggs last year :) I have only seen that one but we have lots of milkweed around here so I am off to egg hunt.

• Tony G
    10 years ago

In Minnesota we have gotten eggs on our common, goose plant, and tropical.

I have seen several females laying eggs but have not seen ANY males yet.

Even though things started late, egg activity seems up from last year...I'm sure the end of the drought has a lot to do with that.

I usually don't raise until later in the season but I've got 15 eggs/caterpillars right now to do my small part for the monarch population. My first is about to pupate.

I hope you all start seeing more monarchs soon, Tony

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

NaturesFolly,
    Of course. You're the incredible artist. That was so sweet of you to drive to meet up last summer. Hopefully, I'll find some of my own this year. My own milkweed has grown quite a bit, and the nearby fields of common milkweed look very healthy this year. Thanks for the reassuring news.

Martha

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County