Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifey2mikey

Monarch Fostering Update

wifey2mikey
10 years ago

Here's another update on the Monarch caterpillars I'm fostering for Sandy (aka butterflymomok.)

Batch 1: I have 15 chrysalides, 4 caterpillars remain. 1 of those appeared to be sick a few days ago and I have kept him isolated but he has continued to eat and is doing well. I had one loss from this batch.

Batch 2: Twice I have counted 31 caterpillars in this group so that is the official number I'm going with. So far all are eating well and growing. They are beginning to reach the "voracious" appetite stage so I'm having to feed and watch them closely to make sure no one runs out of fresh food. No losses. All look great! :-)

I'm having so much fun doing this. And I'm so grateful that I was led to plant so much milkweed this year! It's an absolute honor to me - and pleasure of course - to be able to help Sandy and the Monarchs!

My nieces and nephew (ages 11, 9, and 8) were over last night and very intrigued by the whole process and just ooohed and awed and the beauty of the Monarch chrysalides. They had no idea they were "decorated with gold!"

I had swallowtail cats a plenty on the rue, parsley and dill. So each kiddo got a couple of caterpillars, a container and food to raise them. They just live in Bixby (Tulsa suburb) so they can easily get over if they need more food. I love it when others get bitten by the butterfly bug. ;-)

~Laura

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz