Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Things Are Lookin Up!

bandjzmom
12 years ago

Well, they are slowly filtering into my yard now. Noticed a large black butterfly the other day. Went out to investigate, and it was a dark form Tiger female. She was perfect! Then, I looked down to see this beautiful Buckeye nectaring on a Marigold of all things. Things are lookin up here in Georgia. I knew they'd come!! :o) Angie

{{gwi:503577}}

Comments (11)

• swallowtailgirl
    12 years ago

What a beautiful picture, Angie! I am in NE Georgia and after a pretty busy spring, it has been so slow for the last few months. I am hoping things will begin picking up. I have plenty of milkweed, rue, parsley, passion vine, etc. All the host plants are ready and waiting for some company!

• terryr
    12 years ago

Gosh I love Buckeyes. Beautiful shot! I've seen one this year, didn't have my camera in my hand though. I've seen 2 black somethings. I'm pretty sure one is a Black Swallowtail, but I'm not sure what the other was. It was large, but I didn't get a very good look at it before it flew off when my dog barked.

I spotted this yesterday...

{{gwi:503579}}

• bigthicketgardens
    12 years ago

While doing my daily chores I spotted a zebra swallowtail and a palamedes swallowtail. I have noticed an upswing in butterfly activity lately as well. I hope one of my fellow Texans is accurate in predicting an early fall. Fall has been my favorite season for the majority of my adult life, but last winter, in accordance with some of my Astrological influences, late winter seemed destined to become one of my favorite times of the year, as I mature.

• MissSherry
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures, and congrats on seeing the butterflies Angie!
    Sherry

• bananasinohio
    12 years ago

Nice Angie! I am glad to see something on marigolds. I want to try experimenting with a few.
    -Elisabeth

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks y'all. As I type, I see a huge Tiger out on my Zinnias in the back yard! I also spotted some Sleepy Orange cats on my Sicklepod Senna today. Guess I will bring some of them into a tent. Hate to see the wasps get them all. Butterfly season is cranking up now. I wish we'd get some rain. Gosh, it has been sooooo hot and dry here. I have a huge Marigold bed, and I never see anything but Skippers on the flowers. I was surprised to see the Buckeye there.~~Angie

• wifey2mikey
    12 years ago

I had a Buckeye nectaring on Basil flowers a week or so ago. I've seen other butterflies on my basil before - usually hairstreaks - it was a first for me to see a Buckeye on it.

By the way I think they are so beautifully unusual. I just love to look at Buckeyes/photos of them.

~Laura

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

Nice pics! I hope the buckeyes come back here!

• terrene
    12 years ago

Pretty butterfly! I don't think I've seen a Buckeye here - what host plants do they use?

I bought a pot of Marigolds from the Ace hardware. They are pretty yellow orange with red stripes. Planted them around the edge of the veggie garden. Quite decorative with semi-double flowers, but they do have nectar tubes. I've been pleasantly surprised to see a Sulfur, Monarch, and Tiger Swallowtail nectaring on them so far!

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Host plants for the Buckeyes:

Buckeye
    - Snapdragon family, scrophulariaceae
    - Plantain family, plantaginaceae
    - Vervain family, verbenaceae
    1. Agalinis fasciculata - wild foxglove
    2. Dyschoriste spp. - twinflower
    3. Ruellia caroliniana - wild petunia
    4. Ruellia succulenta - thickleaf wild petunia