Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

or did I build a wren's buffet?

catherinet
10 years ago

Maybe you read my other post about letting the corner of my garden grow up in milkweed. It just hit me the other day (Duh!) that,since its growing up around the wren nest that is in one of the tubes of my swingset that I'm using in my vertical garden, maybe the wren will eat all the cats???
There aren't any eggs or cats there yet......maybe they can sense the closeness of the wren's nest? I doubt that.
But dang.........if the monarchs do start laying there, I hope the wren doesn't eat them all.
I guess I should have thought of that!

Comments (8)

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Well, the best you can do is check on the plants often and bring some in. Every caterpillar out there is fare game for all of the hungry critters that eat them. You still did a VERY good thing IMHO. :o)
    Angie

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Catherinet,
    Anywhere you grow milkweed in your yard is well within the wren's range. So, just because the milkweed are growing close to the nest doesn't put them at any greater risk than they would be anywhere else in your yard. You might consider wide spaced bird netting that people use to keep birds from eating their berries. Most of those would probably keep Monarchs out as well. You'd need to choose the netting very carefully. Or, bring whatever eggs and cats you find inside for complete protection.

Martha

• Liz
    10 years ago

This is the butterfly forum, but don't forget--birds are our friends too! They desperately need caterpillars to raise their young, even if the adults normally eat fruit or seeds. So, I agree, it is definitely a good thing that you did, one way or the other.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.
    I don't raise them inside like alot of you do. I don't really want to do that. Yes, I started realizing too that all the plants with worms/bugs on them are fair game for the birds.
    Oh.....don't worry about the birds around here not being fed! We have 35 acres of woods and fields......most of which makes berries/seeds/nuts/ and grows tons of bugs and worms! :)

I think the wren with the nest in the swingset in the garden is getting more used to me. It doesn't scold me as often. Its fun hearing the babies yelling for food, when mama comes back with a bug or a worm.

Here's a pic I got of one of the parents coming out of the swingset. Hmmmm.....maybe it will get those milkweed bugs! haha

I just can't believe that they can stand the heat out there, but they seem to come back every year and do it again. Its 91 out today and I hate to think what the inside of the tube is. I think I'll put an umbrella up over it.......but I don't want to confuse them. Maybe the milkweed will offer some shade. That milkweed is almost 8' tall! It all blew over in a storm last week, but I put it all back up with a bunch of bungee cords and its doing fine. :)

{{gwi:503585}}

• Tom
    10 years ago

I don't see the wren in the picture. Monarchs eat milkweed which makes them taste real bad to most birds and other critters. The wrens may not find them very tasty after they've tried a few. I'm sure there are other bugs that taste much better.

Now the black swallowtail cats...those apparently taste very good to many birds, especially cardinals in my experience.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tom.....look up at the opening of where the 2 tubes come together, and you can see the small head sticking out.

• ericwi
    10 years ago

It looks like the wren is living in the small space where the two metal tubes are joined by a formed metal plate. That is such a tiny opening that I am surprised they can manage to fit in there.

• catherinet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can't believe it either eric. The nest is down in just one of the tubes. And its sooooooo hot. but they don't seem to mind! they've been doing this for about 3 summers now.

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor