Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Bush

Posted by freedombelle2001 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 12:39

At my previous home we had a Butterfly Bush loaded with butterflies. It died due to a dry winter. At our new home we planed a Black Knight butterfly bush, it is growing fast, healthy and blooming, I have only seen a Hawk Moth visit it, butterflies in the yard ignore it. Any thoughts? I Googled why it would not attract butterflies and came up empty. It has been in our yard about 2 months now.
Linda Hagelstien. Omaha, N.E

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Bush

It might be that something else has their attention. Maybe it's not producing enough nectar for them, or they are preferring something else. Do you have a lot of other flowering plants?

In NH, I remember one year Common Boneset was all the rage (it was always covered with pollinators of all kinds), and then very little attention given the next year.

I also had a butterfly bush there too, and lots of other nectar plants, and popularity was even, or more slanted toward plants like coneflowers, milkweeds, goldenrods, zinnias, Mexican Sunflowers.

o

I have lots of flowers, roses, moss roses, holly hocks, geraniums, and numerous others. At least the Hawk Moth loves the butterfly Bush. And at least it is pretty and smells great. Linda Hagelstien

o

Linda, I would suggest that at your last residence, there were established breeding sites nearby for species that prefer feeding on a butterfly bush. Perhaps that is not the case where you are living now. Consider planting some appropriate plants where the butterflies in your area (that prefer or are attracted to buddleia) can lay eggs and build their cocoons, and feeder plants for the larvae. Also provide a mineral puddler for water and minerals. I'll bet that in a few seasons you will be back to butterfly-covered bushes.

This post was edited by zensojourner on Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 13:30

o

I think Butterfly Bush probably really gets its reputation because it's so widely available at nurseries that have historically not always had the most appropriate nectar plants available to butterflies. But who knows, another yard, another year, the butterflies will prove me wrong.

o

All I had to do was post the question here, and lo and behold I see 2 butterflies today on the bush! Thanks for your replies, I appreciate every single one of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here