Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wifey2mikey

Happy to report Monarchs are doing well!

wifey2mikey
11 years ago

Okay - I posted a few weeks back about having trouble raising Monarch hatchlings and welcomed suggestions. I modified my technique and here we are - 6 successful survivals from hatchling to this point! Yay! I had captured 9 hatchlings, so still lost 3, but this is a much better rate than I have experienced previously.

Thanks for all the suggestions, encouragement, etc.

~Laura

Comments (11)

• bob_71
    11 years ago

Laura, so happy to hear that your results are improving! Keep on increasing the supply of all butterflies.

As an observer of all things natural, I wonder from your photo if the slightly unnatural presentation of Milkweed leaves would be more effective (and longer lasting) if they were kept in the cage stuck into wet floral foam? However, I also notice that they seem like Carnation'e "contented" cows to me.

What you are doing must be pretty darned good!

Bob

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bob, thanks for your reply. They are eating the leaves quite fast so no time really for them to wilt or dry out much. I personally have found that the tropical milkweed leaves wilt rather quickly even when stuck into wet foam (I've tried it without much success.) I did happen across some native milkweed and picked a bunch for these critters, but the three that died were feeding on it, so I decided no more of that - I just can't be sure that what I'm finding hasn't been sprayed or something.

I am replacing/replenishing the tropical milkweed leaves multiple times daily and they are continuing to grow well so I think for now I'm going to stick with this method until it proves unsuccessful.

I've had such varied "luck" raising Monarchs. Every single one of my spring hatchlings died. :-/ I'm really babying these little guys hoping that they continue to grow well. The largest one is nearing it's last instar so hopefully we'll know for certain that this was a success soon. I think I caught them early enough that there is not worry of parasites. And they appear very brightly colored with crisp lines, so I'm hoping no OE either. Fingers crossed....

I'll keep you updated and THANKS again so much to you and everyone else who has offered suggestions. I always know I can come here to ask questions, get information, and share in my sorrows and successes!

~Laura

• NaturesFolly
    11 years ago

Congrats Laura, it does feel good to watch these little guys get bigger and bigger.. I now have 6 that are growing well and 2 just moulted last night. Like you, I have taken many tips from this forum and they have helped my survival rate tremendously. One thing I did learn was not to take milkweed from next to any type of food growing field, I lost 5 that way so now I just take it from my naturalist neighbor. My few milkweed plant in the yard are now setting seed so I should have plenty next year. I have 3 cats that are getting so big that today they will be going into the cage with a full milkweed plant, I love to watch them crawl all over it sampling from this leaf and then that leaf.. kinda like a milkweed buffet.

• mostone
    11 years ago

I find with the tropical milkweed, that when I cut it and put it in water it will all droop terribly. However, if you keep it in water it mostly perks up in about 24 hours. I have been putting small vases of milkweed in with my caterpillars. I put Glad Press and Seal over the opening and poke a hole in it and stick the milkweed through it.

• MissSherry
    11 years ago

Woo hoo! Congrats, congrats, Laura!

Sherry

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So far.... one caterpillar made his chrysallis and for whatever reason it just didn't work, so he's expired. Two others are in chrysalides now and I have three caterpillars still munching away. Everyone looks healthy.

~Laura

• Tony G
    11 years ago

glad to hear things are going better for you...looking forward to hearing about your healthy adults :) Tony

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A little update: 4 of 5 have eclosed so far. Two just this morning. :-)

Hopefully I'll get some decent pictures to share.

~Laura

• wifey2mikey
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's one of my newly eclosed Monarchs!

~Laura

• mostone
    11 years ago

Congratulations!

• Tony G
    11 years ago

Laura, sounds like you've transformed into a monarch raising queen...Congrats on your success! Tony

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES