Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly Anatomy

Posted by bob_71 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 21, 12 at 13:05

Not a day goes by when I fail to notice something about the creatures in our world that I had not noticed before.

I noticed today while viewing a photograph of a Painted Lady that the structure of their eyes was totally different than I had envisioned. I had pictured in my mind (influenced, I am sure, by my knowledge of the human eye) a sphere like a marble. As you can see from the DEEPLY cropped attached photo, their eye is not solid at all but rather each eye is more like half a walnut shell with the top portion cut off.

The cutoff portion diminishes their rearward vision significantly which surprises me. Their high rate of mortality would seem to me to have triggered an evolutionary change in the design. Perhaps the structural design is influenced by the storage space requirements of the proboscis when not in use.

What a wonderful world we live in!

Bob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly Anatomy

Bob,

I find butterfly eyes fascinating, too. The patterns aren't always the same. Trying to get good, clear photos that show the eyes is a challenge. And then, you start noticing the details. Differences in antennae are interesting as well, especially when they help you ID certain species. Thanks so much for your post and sharing what you observed.

Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here