Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Caterpillar ID

Posted by bob_71 z7 MD (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 2, 11 at 13:15

Found this one just barely alive under a mature oak tree.

Thanks,
Bob

View of the bottomside

View of the topside

Showing relative size to lens cover. About as large as a tomato hornworm.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Caterpillar ID

It's a luna moth, Bob. Hopefully, it just needs to find a place to make its cocoon.
Have you tried putting it back on the tree?
Sherry

o

If it cannot move, put it in a smooth bottom container. If it has no health/parasite issues, it will pupate without its flimsy cocoon.

ID trick I tell people is green face=luna, brown face=poly

KC

o

Are those parasitic cocoons near the head of the cat?
'Hope they aren't!
I just look for the yellow line, KC - yellow line, luna - no yellow line, poly.
Sherry

o

Those look like tachinid fly eggs, to me. The adult glues the little eggs to the outside of the host caterpillar, often close to the head capsule, I think. Anyhow, when the eggs hatch, the larvae will chew its way to the innards of the host.

Tachinids don't make little cocoons when they are ready to pupate.

o

But my way is clearly better. ;D

All my lunas are 5th instar right now. I wanted to refresh my memory on what a 2nd instar looks like. I did a Google images on "luna moth caterpillar." Quite a few of the "luna" cats don't seem to have a stripe down their side or a green face. Must be some local variations ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here