Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting butterfly bush in aug...

Posted by jilliebean9700 7a (nc) (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 31, 11 at 13:28

is it ok? or should i wait til it cools a bit? i am worried about them getting root bound in the pots. should i move them to bigger pots til fall?? right now they are outside still in nursery pots in part shade so they wont dry out so quick.
would love your advice. i bought them for $3 each-bc they were such a steal i had 2 grab 'em up. should i take cuttings,then plant & hope for the best???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting butterfly bush in aug...

It probably depends on how hot you all are. Two of my three butterfly bushes are really struggling in this heat. I'll be surprised if I don't lose one of them. We're projected to hit 111 this week... Not even soaking them with water every day can combat that.

A local nursery here has some beautiful black eyed susan's on sale. I'm too scared to even try in this heat...

~Laura

o

we have been pretty darn hot high 90's for almost 2 weeks

o
aug planting

my other (established) BFB's seem to be doing fine though.

o

My DH rooted a bunch of cuttings of Butterfly Bushes in small styrofoam coffee cups. I have been planting them even in this heat.

I make the very best planting area possible with lots of organic compost and other good stuff, always mulching well with wood chips and leaves on top of the wood chips.

I water deeply and daily, if needed.

So far, they are growing strongly and look healthy.

I figured they had a much better chance in the ground than in those tiny cups.

I still have a few more to plant. Hoping to finish soon. We FINALLY, Thank God, got some rain last night and again today!

WOO-WHOO!!
Betty

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here