Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Thought This Was Cute!

Posted by susanlynne48 OKC7a (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 13:45

While I was out watering this morning, I came across these ladies in the photo. There were actually 4 in total busy laying eggs. I have never witnessed them doing it before. I guess they're usually "more discreet"?

Anyway, they were so busy ovipositing, they completely ignored me taking their photos. I hope I don't embarrass them by posting the photo!!

Susan

P.S. Not the best photo. Still need a new camera.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Thought This Was Cute!

Susan, thanks for sharing them!
Is that a "Texas Star" hibiscus (Hibiscus coccineus)???
I have one I started from seed & was wondering if any BF would use it! Now I know!
I also have Rock Rose seeds(Pavonia lasiopetala) & was wondering if the Gray Hairstreaks would use it as a host? I have Turk's Cap(Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii)growing in the shade but have never seen any cats on it!
Thanks again,
Lila

o

The Dallas County Lep Society doesn't report either as a host plant, but anything's possible. I do see it listed as a nectar plant.

Yes, it is Texas Star Hibiscus, H. coccineus. I have another named hybrid, Plum Delight, a hardy hibiscus in the H. moscheutos group, that they use as well. They do seem to utilize Texas Star more frequently.

I think they are delightful little butterflies!

Susan

o

Loved the photo, and you gave me a chuckle. :) Thanks for posting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here