Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_littlerock_ar

Keep the faith, things are picking up ... w/photos

Mary Leek
10 years ago

... within minutes after I put this timmed Rue branch into the vase and sat it on a shelf above my potting bench, a mama Black Swallowtail showed up and began laying eggs on it! Could hardly believe my eyes. I think the blooms of the potted Stokesia sitting on the deck is attacting the butterflies up to my deck.

I probably need to move this Rue to an enclosed cage before something gets the newly laid Black Swallowtail eggs. I took the little Giant Swallowtail cat that recently hatched on this branch (the reason I saved this trimmed branch in the first place) and put him in a cage with the larger ones I found earlier ... {{gwi:506051}}

... can you see some of the Black Swallowtail eggs up near the top of the Rue? {{gwi:506052}}

Here is one of my biggest nectar draws right now ...

Stokesia 'Peachie's Pick' - July 6, 2013

I have several pots of this plant blooming right now and all the little flying jewels seem to enjoy the nectar. I purchased one small plant from a native plant nursery in 2011. When I repotted it that fall, the roots were wound all around the root ball so I trimmed and used pieces of root to create several new plants. They are all blooming this year and are really putting on a show. {{gwi:506053}}

and finally, here are a couple of photos of the little Spicebush cats living on the in ground spicebush plants ... {{gwi:506054}}

{{gwi:506055}}

Everyone take heart. It was awfully slow here until the past couple of weeks. I think our butterfly season is just delayed this year.

After Sandy's report on seeing a mama Monarch in her garden in NE Oklahoma, I am encouraged to keep a better eye on my milkweed. Maybe there's still a chance some of us will see a Monarch before fall.

Mary

Comments (6)

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Mary,
    I've been growing plants from seed via wintersowing for many years. Recently, I've broadened my methods of propagation to include rooting cuttings of coleus, which is so easy my dog could do it. I'm interested in your comment about propagating your Stokes Aster from pieces of root. I just purchased a Stokes Aster from an online nursery that was having a sale, but I only bought one. If they are such great nectar plants, I may want to try to propagate mine. Could you describe how you did the root thing? Thanks,

Martha

PS Thanks for the encouragement re the slow season. I set a goal for myself to raise more Monarch cats than ever before, but can't get started until they show up. LOL

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

Beautiful shots and terrific encouragement! Thanks Mary! I think that this happens every year. We all get impatient for the butterflies to show up! :o)
    Angie

• Mary Leek
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Martha,

This was my first attempt at creating new plants from root cuttings so I'm probably not the best source of advice. On the other hand, if I could do it, it must be fairly easy.:-)

I didn't take notes and I don't remember if I posted anything on any of the forums. From memory and from what I remember reading on line, I just took the largest fleshy root pieces, cut into about 6 inch lengths and, probably, lightly dusted with powdered root compound, laid them horizontal in a pot of good potting medium and covered about 1/2 to 1 inch deep, depending on the thickness of the root. I use Pro Mix but I'd think any good potting mix would do quite well. Then I just kept the potting medium moist. I can't remember how long it took before I saw new growth but I certainly had new growth by the following spring.

I don't think all plants are candidates for this method of propagation. The plant must produce a fairly fleshy root and I think I remember it should be at least as thick as the lead in a school pencil, up to about the circumfrence of a wooden lead pencil. This gives you an idea of the size root you'll be looking for.

... root cuttings just taken from my smallest potted Stokesia laevis {{gwi:506056}}

Google starting plants with ROOT cuttings and see what pops up. Read as much as you can find about this method, then give it a try. I remember paying $8.00 for this one very small plant and now, two years later, I have 5 humongous plants producing (I'd guess) at least 100 blooms. In fact, I was thinking I should try again with the root cuttings when these plants go into the ground. I like to try new things; I'm not always successful but I enjoy trying.

Now, it may be possible to simply divide your plant at the crown, after it puts on a bit of growth. That would probably be the quickest way to gain new plants, if it can be done. On the other hand, you can probably get more plants from one plant by going the root cutting route. I was just curious about root cuttings and since I had healthy roots to practice on, it was an easy decision for me to give it a try.

Please see the link below for general information on Stokesia laevis - Stokes aster, which mentions three methods of propagation.

In the meantime, maybe someone else on this forum will be better able to advise you. Native plants are becoming so expensive (especially the mailing costs). We can all benefit by learning from each other various methods of propagating our butterfly plants.

Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Stokesia laevis - Stokes aster

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Congratulations on the black swallowtail eggs, Mary!

Stokes asters grow wild all along the roadsides here, which is where I got the seeds to start mine. Now I have so many I have to thin them out every spring.

It's cloudy and sprinkling now, but yesterday I saw a palamedes swallowtail, a BIG silver spotted skipper, an unidentified skipper and a checkered skipper nectaring on the flowers in a patch of them in my garden within a minute or so of each other. If anybody wants seeds, let me know. They range in color from very light blue, almost white, to very dark purplish blue. I like the dark ones the best, as the butterflies seem to do.

Sherry

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

Thanks Mary.

• bananasinohio
    10 years ago

Yay! Still not too much happening here. A little here and there. Saw my first pipevine male (though I know they were out earlier). So, I will be looking for eggs soon.

Elisabeth

Sponsored