Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lep and maybe not lep IDs?

Posted by molanic Z5 IL (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 14:05

Found this guy on a tomato plant. Yellow-striped armyworm?

From 2014_07

This one looks like a moth, but I am not very good at figuring out moths.

From 2014_07

This one I thought was moth at first, but don't see any antennae in the picture.

From 2014_07

This one I found on a viburnum while looking for snowberry clearwing moth eggs. I thought it was a caterpillar initially, but when it started moving I realized it probably wasn't. It moves like something in a horror movie. I could also see what I think was food moving inside it through the flesh which was pretty cool. Any ideas.

From 2014_07

Video to see how it moves. It goes for my finger at the end. The little bugger left marks on my camera lens that were not easy to get off.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lep and maybe not lep IDs?

I would say you have pics of moths--the one without the antennae if you touch it or anything like that, the antennae generally sweep forward.

The bottom one I have no idea about--but have seen larvae who are fairly transparent too. Maybe it's a syrphid larva?

o

Photo 1: Yes, it is that armyworm.
Photo 2: Hypena scabra, green cloverworm moth
Photo 3: Noctua pronuba, large yellow underwing moth

Photo 4: The trick on these larva is to turn them over and see how many pairs of abdominal segment legs (protolegs) they have. Many fly larva have a pair of legs on every segment; moth or butterfly larvae do not. All of these larvae will have 3 pairs of thoracic (true) legs.

o

Thanks guys, you're great. Next time after I get at least one picture I may give it a little nudge to better see the antennae or open wing pattern. I did also submit the armyworm and cloverworm moth pics to bamona and just got the confirmation from them too.

I don't know what I thought the underwing moth was exactly if not a moth. I guess not seeing the antennae just threw me. I will submit that one to bamona too. I know these are not exciting or rare, but they will all be new additions for my county bamona checklist. The moth section of the checklist is so lacking compared to nearby counties that it makes me wonder if they never added existing records when starting the project or something.

Larry thanks for the tip on the larva legs. I am still very much an insect novice.

o

Your underwing (not to be confused with the more prominent and showy Catocala underwings) is an introduced species, relatively recent. It is possibly the Lesser Underwing, but without a view of the hindwings, and because of the large apparent size, I went with the Large underwing ID. Its range is now coast-to-coast. Both of these moths are in the Pronuba genus, that much is certain.

The wing shape and posture of the underwing pretty much eliminated all butterflies, even folded-wing skippers. And butterflies do not typically position their antennae along the wing edges.

Keep at it--one of these times you may find a rare moth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here