Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
finally!

Posted by Corgikarma 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 14 at 14:14

Last week I found a black swallowtail cat on the parsley which is now covered. Today I saw a monarch out flitting around the mikweeds and she left two eggs! I cut the stems and have them in a sterile mason jar. This is my first time and I am so excited for this activity! Some of you may remember my earlier post about having such a lack of butterflies. I am so glad to see some eastern swallowtails, black swallowtails and monarchs around here!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: finally!

Congratulations! It really IS exciting!

Sherry

o

I also found a monarch cat!

o

Any tips for a newby? I also want to buy a butterfly cage, any you guys would recommend? Also, can the swallowtail go in with the monarchs?

o

I like the sound of this one with a side zipper: http://www.amazon.com/Butterfly-Cage-Foot-Tall-Habitat/dp/B00H2A4X68/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1406751526&sr=8-3&keywords=butterfly+cage

o

Any suggestions for a newbie?

o

I've used that type in the past and really didn't like it. Mine was very thin and flimsy, so it wasn't strong enough to hold a left overs container filled with water, plus, since it hangs, the left overs container could easily spill water if bumped. I don't know how strong this particular version of it is, but, based on the price, I doubt it's any different from the one I used. I tried using water picks, but when I tried to secure them to the very thin, mesh sides, it made a mess. Also, it's hard to keep paper towels straight at the bottom of it, to catch frass.

The type cage I've used for years is a heavy duty, zippered mesh covering over a PVC frame. It's actually intended for housing reptiles, but it works great for raising caterpillars. I've just ordered two replacement covers, because it's the mesh covers (the zippers) that eventually go bad. Most of mine are the 38-gallon size, but you could start with the small 22-gallon size, since it's less expensive, and you could see how you like raising caterpillars in one.

I've given you a link to my cage source.

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: Reptariums from LLLReptile

o

Thanks! Is it OK to keep the swallowtail with the monarch cats? I would wait until they got bigger.

o

Yes, I've mixed species many times with no problems, just don't put little caterpillars with big ones. They might accidentally get eaten.

Sherry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here