Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Several Wildflower Plant ID's???

Posted by imabirdnut 7b North Texas (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 15, 11 at 14:25

I have several flowers that were either volunteers in my garden or I found on the side of the road...please help me ID them??? Are they BF host plants???
#1 Found as volunteer in my Tomatoe Garden in May & was about 5 ft tall...
Photobucket
Photobucket

#2 Found along side of road in July & is definitely in the Pea family---clusters of blusih-purple flowers
Photobucket
Photobucket

#3 Found in my Wildflower area in March--was about 1-2ft tall with 1-2"red flowers, maybe came out of a wildflower seed mix
Photobucket

I collected seeds from #2 & am planning to scatter them in my wildflower area for next year.
Thanks for your help with these & I'm also posting this thread in the Native Plant section!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Several Wildflower Plant ID's???

Howdy,
Wildflower #3 is Adonis aestivalis, aka Summer Pheasant's Eye. It's generally considered a self-seeding annual...of course you are in TEXAS...so you may be immune to the vagaries the rest of us face ;-)
regards,
seedmoney

Here is a link that might be useful: Wildflower #3 identified

o
Mystery plant #1 is a thug

Ok,
Number one is bad news, it's Yellow Sweet Clover, Melilotus officinalis. Intentionally introduced from Eurasia in the early 1900s as a forage crop, it has since escaped cultivation and is rapidly displacing native flora and bugs. It has a white-flowered form as well. Click this link to read more-- get rid of it while you can! Every seed is viable..

Here is a link that might be useful: Invasive White or Yellow Sweet Clover

o
RE: Several Wildflower Plant ID's???

Thanks...SEEDMONEY!!!
Still waiting to get an ID on #2...someone thought it was alfalfa but it doesn't look anything like the alfalfa I've got growing for my BFs! It is more shrubby than the alfalfa. I am planning to grow some next season to see if I get BFs on it. It was growing on the side of the road here west of DFW. It could be a cover crop that has escaped in our rural area...but it's really a pretty blusih/purple blooming summer plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here