Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cat ID

Posted by biologyteacher60 OK (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 18, 14 at 14:26

I have found cats on my parsley today. Are these monarch? If not can you ID? Should I bring them inside and protect them?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cat ID

They're black swallowtail caterpillars. They get preyed on/eaten by predators quite a lot, but I can't advise you on how to raise them yourself on parsley, never having raised any on parsley myself.

Maybe somebody else can advise you on this.

Sherry

o

They are the favorites of predator wasp, as previously mentioned.
Unlike some here, I let nature take her course, but since my st's are scare this year, I caved in and put screening (cut into lengths) around my remaining cat babies for protection.

o

These caterpillars are pretty easy to raise inside. Just make sure that you have enough parsley to feed them.

They are beautiful butterflies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Swallowtail

o

It's up to you whether you want to bring them in or not. Unlike Monarchs, Black Swallowtails can overwinter as a chrysalis. So, they might not emerge until next year. They are susceptible to predation, though. I visited my SIL and found two late-instar cats on her parsley. I brought them home, mostly because she isn't an outdoor type person and wasn't thrilled to have something eating her cooking herbs. I'll feed them until they pupate and then put them in a protected spot outside.

Martha

o

I brought them inside and the parsley is holding up well in the water. Thank you for all your help. I'll keep you posted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here