Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
naturesfolly

Whahoo!! Female Monarch stopped by

NaturesFolly
11 years ago

And left me 13 eggs!! I had to take them all because my milkweed plants were getting pretty populated with hoppers, spiders and other critters so the neighborhood was all ready full. I may have to tag these since I believe they will start to migrate next month. I had given up thinking I would see another monarch this year.. happy dance!!

Comments (5)

• Tony G
    11 years ago

Congrats on your bounty of eggs! There is still at least one generation before migration starts from your area though...possibly two!

• NaturesFolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info :) Monarchs have been in such short supply here in SW Michigan this year, now as dry as it has been I will really have to look for viable milkweed to keep up with the growth.. so I will be happily busy. I saw that I missed a couple of eggs and they were already empty.

• minrose
    11 years ago

Yeah, how fun for you!

• terrene
    11 years ago

Congrats!! That's excellent!

Monarchs have just begun to show up here in interior Massachusetts. I've got 24 eggs/cats! I don't think these are going to be the migrating generation though. I was just thinking I should order some tags so they're ready for the Monarchs that will (hopefully) eclose in late August/September!

• NaturesFolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The new caterpillars started hatching yesterday 6 so far and they are all doing what they are supposed to do. I bought a bunch of deep plastic containers so I will be able to seperate them by instars. Thanks to all the knowledge I have gotten from this site and others I am confidant that I can raise these up to butterflies for release. I will start to put them in the containers today.. there is getting to be a bit of tiny tiny frass and off to hunt some good milkweed :)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH