Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
description of caterpillar - no picture

Posted by carol23 z7NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 28, 10 at 14:51

My computer is not accepting the camera card so I cannot post a photo.

Today I found a big fat solid green caterpillar. It has 4 tiny orange protrusions on one end, and one small orange protrusion at the other end.
One set of tiny orange protrusions( further from the end and above the first set) has a very thin black band around it ( seen under a hand lens)

Thanks for your help. I looked at one on line green caterpillar site and the closest I came to it was a Peridea species.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: description of caterpillar - no picture

"big, fat, and solid" sounds like a moth caterpillar. Have you considered either a Giant Silkworm (such as Luna Moth Actias luna or the Polyphemus Moth Antheraea polyphemus) or else some kind of Sphinx Moth (such as the Tomato Hornworm Manduca quinquemaculata)?

Even if those are not an exact match, the shape of the larvae is representative of the entire family.

Jeff

o

By projections, do you mean something like the ones on these sweetbay moth caterpillars?
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Sherry

o

Yes. This was a solid green caterpillar. It has two sets of tiny orange projections ( not like a saddleback which has stung me while gardening) on one end, and one tiny orange thing on the other end. There were no stripes, just a seam along the sides near the underside of it. I could not tell which end was front! LOL.

I looked through one site that had 70 pictures of green caterpillars and could not find a match.

It had to be a moth and it was a large caterpillar. I've seen tomato types but don't think that's it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here