Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Milkweed whitefly: Is the bloom doomed?

Posted by karen64 6b (foxbuild@aol.com) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 14:55

I saw some white webbing by the blooms and when I poked it, some white bugs hopped out. I cleaned them out of the plant but I'm wondering if the floppy blooms will make it? Also found some orange round beetles that looked like larva on my other type of milkweed and have also cleaned them up. I really need to locate some praying mantis from the older garden but their kinda small and hard to find yet. I always have a large supply and the amount of nests I found this spring was plentiful...Would they eat those pests?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Milkweed whitefly: Is the bloom doomed?

My local plant place has praying mantises (and lady bugs) you can buy.

o

Wow, that's interesting you can purchase them! Hmmm, maybe I'll send my daughter outside with a magnifying glass and have her set up a praying mantis stand! Or maybe a you-pick sign, lol...How do they keep them alive? Anyway, I hope the blooms make it.

o

Ohhhhhh...they would eat potential cats too...

o

They sell the oethecums, or egg cases. Each oethecum contains up to 200 or so eggs!! They are extremely cannibalistic, and WILL eat your cats and butterflies too.
You're better off ordering some Lacewing larvae online. They are veracious predators on small insect pests and leave older cats and butterflies alone. They ship them 500 at a time for around $25.00-$35.00.
You can also order Ladybugs online, but I think the Lacewings are a lot more fun.

o

I do like the lace wing larvae. They look like crocodiles with sideways jaws. I like how the adults look with those distinctive wings.

o

I remember seeing Lacewing's when I was younger. Not so much anymore.

o

A beautiful plant photo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here