Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
unknown butterfly - can you recognize this little guy?

Posted by mary_littlerockar 7b Central Arkansas (mleek@sbcglobal.net) on
Mon, Jul 18, 11 at 15:00

I thought I was taking a photo of a pipevine swallowtail. It wasn't until I uploaded the photos and looked at them that I noticed there are no swallowtails on this little guy. I've looked at photos on line but I can't tell what type he is. Can you help me ID him?

We had a cantalope that was over ripe so I set it outside on the deck railing, ready to take down to the compost bin. Stepped out the door a bit later and this little guy was sitting on it, sipping away. ~Mary

back of unknown butterfly:

underside of unknown butterfly:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: unknown butterfly - can you recognize this little guy?

I think it's a Red-Spotted Purple.

Here is a link that might be useful: Red Spotted Purple

o

Yes, it's a Red-spotted Purple. Sometimes I see them on the grape jelly that I have in the oriole feeder. Very pretty butterfly!
Cathy

o

I believe it IS a Red-Spotted Purple! Thank you so much for helping me ID him.

You know, during the first part of the season, I saw nothing but one early lone Monarch who stopped to eat and then flew away. All of a sudden, the activity has really picked up, even though we're having horribly high temps and drought here. I hope others are finally enjoying butterfly activity, too. They are such lovely little creatures and for me, well worth the extra effort it takes to encourage them as visitors.

My thanks once again for taking time to help.

Mary

o

Nice close-ups Mary. They do like melons.
I put out a half of a small watermelon that was over ripe and had a couple Red Spotted Purples that came to visit. There were a few dozen Junebugs as well though so the picture wouldn't have been very pretty. Your photo has a nicer background.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here