Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Help Quickly About Feeding Injured Butterfly

Posted by gwynne2006 6/7 SE PA (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 14, 07 at 15:08

I have a BST butterfly that didnt get all the way out of its chrysalis and one wing is chrushed. I dont have the heart to kill it. He is two days old now and has been nectaring in my garden and I dont know how much nectar is in my garden.

I have heard sometimes people give them watermelon. I have also heard of gatorade, but a certain flavor. Does anyone know what flavor they drink? What about other combinations? Even though I know this poor boy wont live long, I want him to have the proper nourishment. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Help Quickly About Feeding Injured Butterfly

Some people use Juicy Juice. Some use the clear and watermelon Gatorade.

o

Thank you for the quick response.

o

Melon Gatorade is what some places use in their feeders. At Greathouse Butterfly Farm, they use a q-tip dipped in it and butterflies will come land on it and drink from it.

o

Why don't you try a repair to his wing. There is a site called livemonarch.com that has a hospital section which will guide you step by step,complete with pics on how to repair a wing. It's certainly worth a try!

o

I ended up with some berry gatorade as they didnt have clear or watermelon gatorade. I think he drank his fill earlier though. He had fallen and when I put him on back on the flowers, he was just jumping from flower to flower nectaring and I dont know how much nectar they need. He didnt seem interested in the gatorade, but then, he doesnt seem interested in the flowers right now so maybe he got the nourishment he needs for the time being.

Butterflutter, I dont have a spare wing. And I really dont think it is that easy to do. If I could, I would fix his wing because I feel very badly.

o

Can I please hi-jack this? I have one too, we found it today, less then a month after our last one flew off (some minor wing damage ther ebut he can sure fly!) This one looks like heck, her wings are in bad condition and she is missing a leg. We mixed up some sugar water for her but I cant let her suffer if I can help it. I will try Melon Gatorade tomorrow when the stores open but I could really use a little advice on helping this poor thing live a happy life. Please help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here