Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bandjzmom

Pawpaw Sphinx Moth Cat is Growing!

bandjzmom
10 years ago

Just look how much it has grown! I wonder when will be time for me to return it to the Pawpaw. How will I know?
Angie

Comments (7)

• SouthCountryGuy Zone 4b-5 SE BC
    10 years ago

So cool....I can't wait to find a cat of some sorts here. Great photo.

• Liz
    10 years ago

Amazing! It must be a really big caterpillar.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Do you want to return it to the pawpaw and let it go underground there, Angie? You can also put some clean leaves in a container, and it'll go underneath the leaves to form its pupa.

It's been so long since I raised any sphinx moths, I can't remember how it works. But I'm guessing it'll change color and/or purge before wandering around looking for a place to go underground, or under the leaves.

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. Yes Sherry, I had planned to return it to the Pawpaw tree where I found it and let it do its thang. I was trying to figure out if it's time yet. I don't know how large they get, but this one is a fairly big caterpillar now. It's probably about the size of a 4th-5th instar Monarch cat right now. I like that we can see the true legs so clearly in this shot. :o)

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sherry? Anyone? Do you think it's time for release yet? It seems to be growing by the minute. :o)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I don't know, Angie, I can't remember how long they take to pupate. I know that it will be in danger of parasitization by both braconid wasps and tachinid flies outside. If it was me, I'd wait until it changes color a bit or shows restlessness. The worst thing that can happen is that it starts to pupate while you're sleeping. Do you have it in a cage? If so, it would probably just crawl into a corner to start the process, should that happen.

Do you know of Bill Oehlke? He's the most knowledgeable moth person I know of. He'll probably answer the question. Here's his e-mail - it's on the internet, so I guess he won't mind me sharing it -

oehlkew@islandtelecom.com

Sherry

• bandjzmom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much Sherry. I don't know Bill, but I will save his address. The cat seems to be putting on size rapidly now. I was worried about it being parasitized. Yes, I do have it inside a container. It's such a really cool cat! :o)
    Angie