I confused Joe-Pye with Ironweed!!!

Posted by dragonflydee Z8AL (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 15:34

well they DO ...
Look a little alike! But I have this old book of Autochromes plates
And among over 200 color tinted photographs of wildflowers( most
Life-sized) I found Vernonia noveboracensis(Ironweed) on plate
227 7"x9" Autochrome photo.

Joe-Pye Weed(Purple Boneset) was on the next page(plate 228)
And titled Eupatorium purpureum Autochrome photo also 7" x9".

The difference between the two plants was very easy to see,and
I realize I have never seen a Joe-Pye Weed here on my place.

But I have started a lot of the IronWeed here in my yard,and
The butterflies are very fond of it!

Deer and wild rabbits will browse it some,so I cage it a lot;the
Plants are just now getting ready to make their purple-blue
Blooms.

This old hardcover book was published by MacMillan in 1935.
It is titled WILDFLOWERS by Homer D. house. The book has
Three hundred and sixty-four full color illustrations(Autochromes)
Plus text.The overall size of the book is abt 11"x 9".
I have not been thru all the plates yet.

DD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I confused Joe-Pye with Ironweed!!!

I bought and planted some ironweed in my garden this year, because I love the dark purple color of the flowers, and so do butterflies. The butterflies love joe-pye weed, too, but I don't like it as much - the flowers are sort of pale pink/mauve, and they get WAY too tall, always wind up bent over.

The colors in those old books aren't true, that's for sure!

Sherry

o

I bought two Missouri Ironweeds last year. One is getting very tall (the other is behind due to lack of sun/constant moving) and I love them. More importantly, the butterflies do. We both win :)

o

I have both Joe-Pye and Ironweed. I love them both, and so do the butterflies. Any plant in this tribe within Asteraceae makes an excellent nectar source. That includes Liatris and Ageratum as well.

John

o

I'd gladly give my Joe Pye Weeds to someone who'd pay the postage to get them. They don't attract the butterflies at all here.
Cathy

o

My ironweed always falls over sometime during the summer. Sometime during this past winter, I read somewhere about cutting them back in June to stop this. So, that is what I did. Waiting to see the results.

o

Hmmmmm.......mine are getting taller than I expected, KC. I hope they don't grow 10' tall like the joe pye weed!

Sherry

o

I had to stake my ironweed the first year because they kept flopping over. From the second year onward they didn't need it.

o

One way to combat the height of Joe-Pye weed is to cut it down to about three feet in early June. It will still flower and may not need staking.

o

I have both, also. My Ironweed should bloom this year. The Joe Pye Weed has been a great general pollinator attraction, and it always has huge holes eaten from its leaves. So, some kind of larvae enjoy it. I like it as a tall backdrop for my other perennials. It provides a division between my front sunny bed and the shaded hosta/fern area under the evergreens.

Martha

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here