Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bethpierce77

Red-Spotted Purple

bethpierce77
10 years ago

I saw a Red-Spotted Purple laying an egg on my quince bush today! Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Comments (3)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

I don't have any quince bushes, but they're in the apple family, like crabapples, and I have seen red-spotted purples lay eggs on our native wild crabapple. Their favorite host is wild black cherry, but sometimes they use willows and/or members of the apple family.

Did you watch her slide down the leaf and lay the egg right on the tip of the leaf? I think it's interesting how they manage to hit the spot every time - if they aren't positioned right, they'll move back up the leaf and slide down again before laying the egg.

I'm raising 8 or 9 red-spotted purples presently, having released the last one from the willow group yesterday. Most of the willow group were smaller than usual, but a few were big, probably the females.

Sherry

• KC Clark - Zone 2012-6a OH
    10 years ago

If you have something else to feed it, I suggest raising it on another host plant. I've done a lot of experimenting with cecropia and polyphemus moths using quince as a host plant. They do well up to the point where they are unable to shed their skin, usually the 2nd to 3rd instar molt. They just stand there and eventually die.

Quince is a non-native so don't be surprised that some native species lay eggs on it but then have trouble with it.

KC

• bethpierce77
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all of this info. I am new to the site, so I just now got these replies. I know now to check the box to have the replies e-mailed to me.

Well, there was only one egg (that I found) and my yard man or I managed to knock off the leaf today!!!!! (I'M PRETTY SURE IT WAS HIM AND NOT ME!!!!! LOL) So I guess I won't be watching this one grow. Maybe it will come back and do it again. No, I didn't watch it slide down, but you're right--the egg was just on the tip of the leaf. I will know to look for that if I'm lucky enough to witness this again. Good luck with your RSP cats! So...if I'm understanding you correctly....if I try to raise these cats (if I get the chance) I could feed them willow leaves instead of the quince leaves? I have a willow tree. In fact, I have been looking at it, and I see that up in the very top, there seem to be some leaves that have been chewed on. Do they usually lay eggs on the top of the tree? Thanks...Beth

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm