Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berger123_gw

Tiger baby's!!!!!!!!!!

BERGER123
9 years ago

Hi
I have 28 tiger swallowtail eggs. I'm so happy!!!!! How long does it take for them to hatch? Is their any other important info I need to raise them?
Jacob

Comments (11)

• MissSherry
    9 years ago

As I recall, it takes about ?5 days.

Congrats, congrats!

Just feed them a proper host plant, and keep the food fresh. Tiger swallowtails are sluggish, like giant swallowtails, so don't expect much movement.

Sherry

• BERGER123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    Ok do you know how to keep ash live in water?
    Jacob

• weed30 St. Louis
    9 years ago

First, Congrats!!! A really good way to keep the leaves fresh is to put them in a {{gwi:508756}}, which you can get from any florist. If possible, ask for an Orchid tube, because they are bigger and you won't have to add water as often.

Just clip one of the {{gwi:508759}}, leaving a nice stem to put in the water tube. You can put the tube in a shot glass to keep it upright, or use masking tape or wire to attach it to the side of your cage or whatever you use to raise them.

When you need to add water, just pull the stem out, pop the lid and add. The caterpillar won't run off of the leaf. The other benefit about using a water tube is it keeps the frass out of the water.

• BERGER123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    I have way more than 28 like 55 to 75 so if anyone close to me (the twin cities area) and would like to have some tigers to raise they are laid on ash and if no one wants any I'm going to very very very busy the rest of the summer.
    Thanks

• terrene
    9 years ago

Oh lucky you to have so many eggs! Too bad I'm not in MN, I would love to have eggs. I have lots of Prunus serotina and have wanted to raise P. glaucus for years. I've observed females laying eggs on occasion, but this is usually about 25 feet up in the air in one of the cherry trees!

• alex928 Z8/LA
    9 years ago

If I lived by the twin cities, I just might take you up on the offer! I'd love me some Tigers. Problem is, I don't have any host plants, and it doesn't sound very easy to get any. Do they have any host plants that aren't trees? Plus I read they typically lay eggs on the tops of trees, so how does anybody manage to get ahold of any?

• BERGER123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    alex928 I believe hop tree grows slow and doesn't get that tall, and if you have it you can get giant and tiger swallowtail. How I got so many is I caught a female to show my grandma and I forgot that I had an ash tree in my greenhouse where she is. Tiger swallowtails use black cherry,sweet bay Mongolia,ash trees,hop tree. I think there is more but I don't know.
    Jacob

• BERGER123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    Update one of the eggs is going to hatch so I think the tree I dug up already had an egg on it cause the other eggs I have haven't darkened like this one.im so excited!!!!!!!
    Jacob

• alex928 Z8/LA
    9 years ago

No hop trees, unfortunately. I don't think they grow around here. I'll keep it in mind for the future though. I do see Tigers around from time to time, some years more than others, so I'm sure there are host plants around somewhere. Maybe someday I can figure out how to get some eggs or cats. They're such cool butterflies. Plus the cats are so cute with their little "eyes." :)

This post was edited by alex928 on Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 12:17

• Liz
    9 years ago

They also use tulip trees, Liriodendrum tulipifera. As if the prunus wasn't tall enough! (The tulip trees are the tallest trees east of the Mississippi.)

We have lots of tulip trees around here, which is why the tiger swallowtails are relatively abundant. I'm not planning on raising any, though. Mother nature is doing okay without me, as far as this species is concerned.
    Liz

• BERGER123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi
    My tiger swallowtail population took a massive hit two years ago. Last year I didn't see any and this year I had to go to my grandparents house to catch some and realse them at my house. Which help and now raiseing them is so exciting!
    Jacob

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio