Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leafhead

Reaching out to our neighbors.

Leafhead
10 years ago

I don't ever remember seeing a summer c only enough Monarch sightings to count on one hand...
I have been reaching out to other forums in an attempt to raise awareness of the Monarch's and Honeybee's plight. I hope I have reached anyone.
It is with quite some concern that I ask other members of the BFG Forum to participate in petitioning other Forum members
to assist in bringing their numbers back. It's easy. We know how to do it.
But there are other gardeners and nongardeners out there that can help. But they have to be made aware, and they have to be educated.
Time is running out, and so is the Monarch.
I've only seen three flying to date this year.

Comments (12)

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

I will do my part John. I have considered creating a FB page for my neighborhood which would encourage people and teach them how to provide habitat for the wildlife here. Maybe, I should go ahead with that plan. I was going to create the site and then post notices on stop signs throughout the neighborhood inviting people to join. I was just out in my yard looking at my Bee Balm and my Anise Hyssop which are both COVERED in Bumble and Honey bees as I type. It makes me so happy to see that because I know how important they are.
    Angie

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Angie.
    John

• marilyn_fl
    10 years ago

This is my first time ever planting a butterfly garden. My plants are young but have already had at least 6 monarch cats on my milkweed plants. I don't know where they are going to pupate though. Is there a specific predator that might be getting to the cats?

• Mary Leek
    10 years ago

John,

This is a wonderful idea, to personally encourage gardeners to plant for the Monarch. I have only seen one wild milkweed growing in my state. Now, to be truthful, I don't walk the woods very often but even looking along the roadsides while out driving has brought no sightings. I fear ranchers and farmers have just about eradicated native milkweed from our state. So it will be up to private gardeners and garden organizations to galvanize the private gardener to help.

For this season, tropical milkweed would be all that, planted now, could be expected to put on any growth to provide host food for the fall migration. It does grow fairly fast, given heat and water. Perennials in first season of growth are quite tiny, even at end of growing season.

We all need to consider supporting MonarchWatch.org too. A 'whatever you can afford' donation, reporting our sightings, etc., all benefits their efforts.

For next growing season, MonarchWatch.org is planning on offering for sale, in late spring, trays of 32 plugs of milkweed. Several varieties are offered and I think they try to match offerings to what would be native to your state. I think this was their first year of offering milkweed plugs and they were very pleased with the success.

By purchasing plugs, the process of applying cold treatment, germinating, transplanting and then planting first year milkweed is reduced to receiving the tray and planting out into the garden a healthy and growing milkweed plant.

Anyone interested in participating can email the program coordinator now and let them know what type of milkweed and how many trays you'd like to order next season. An excellent way for garden clubs to become involved, too. This information allows them to better plan their huge order to the nurseries who grow out the plugs for them.

You have the right idea, John. We can make a difference if we work at it. Maybe if we add the following to our signature on each of our personal posts on Gardenweb, it will help drive interest, too.

Mary
    ... interested in planting Milkweed to help the Monarch Butterfly, check out:
    MonarchWatch.org 'Milkweed Market' ... http://tinyurl.com/c5oeesu

Here is a link that might be useful: Monarch Watch 'Milkweed Market'

• Leafhead
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will be collecting seed and distributing them as well to friends, family, and members of this forum. I have virtually unlimited access to seed at both my way station and from where I work.
    Included in this are A.s syriaca, incarnata, tuberosa and maybe verticillata. Free to anyone c a SASBE
    John Gern
    Way Station 6542

• Liz
    10 years ago

Thanks, John. Monarch Watch is sold out and no longer shipping to many states, as far as I can tell. I'm going to look for some A. incarnata seed closer to home, to preserve local genotypes.

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

John, I want you to know that I did it. I finally did it, and you inspired me to move. Today, I have created an email address for replies and also put up signs in my neighborhood asking neighbors if they want to come together online to share and learn about gardening and wildlife. If there is enough interest generated by the signs, I will create a FB group for people to meet up in. Thanks for inspiring me.
    Angie

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

What great ideas y'all have!

My hubby and I went out to dinner in Hattiesburg with a couple from the Coast. The nice lady told me she had read about the plight of monarchs, and that people should plant MW. I've got quite a few big 'hairy balls' MW in containers,so I'll be giving her one or two of them when we go out to eat again in two weeks, plus A. curassavica and 'hairy balls' seeds. I thank Mary for the HB MW seeds - they've grown beautifully, and they'll be getting spread around!

I'll also be giving her some Salvia regla that I rooted from my mother plant, which bloom in fall when we ordinarily see the monarchs. The big flowers are also real popular with other butterflies, especially sulphurs, and hummingbirds.

Thanks to everybody that's helping!

Sherry

• ABCTravel
    10 years ago

I'd liked

Here is a link that might be useful: du lich gia re

• bernergrrl
    10 years ago

One thing that we are just starting out here is a WIld Ones Chapter, which has partnered up with MonarchWatch I believe this year. We will be sharing plants/swapping seeds and spreading the word about native plants and how they contribute to biodiversity as well as discussing yard/garden practices that help out butterflies. I'm giving a butterfly garden presentation too.

Also trying to get our village to spread the word that leaf collection and garden clean-ups are detrimental to the life cycles of butterflies and moths. I'll be writing a local paper as the time approaches.

The school my daughter goes to has created an outdoor learning area, and a group of us worked on the native plant garden, and we got it certified as a Waystation, and NABA, and probably NWF later too when I get around to it.

We'll be spreading the word that way too. Every little bit helps. Spread those seeds and think about heading a group to plant gardens somewhere in your town--people appreciate it.

There is a lot of work to be done out there!

I also have all kinds of signs in my yard to raise awareness about butterflies and other pollinators.

Thank you for caring so much about the butterflies!

• docmom_gw
    10 years ago

I just posted requests on the seed savers and seed exchange forums for the people on those forums to collect as much milkweed seed as they can to make it available to folk who might not be able to afford to buy any or have access to a car to collect their own. I'll be collecting as much as I can as well. I may hit up a wealthy couple I know to donate to Monarch Watch to help defray the costs of ramping up this movement. It helps to hear everyone else's ideas so we can spread the word and find ways for everyone to help. I should find a place to do some butterfly presentations, since I have eggs.

Martha

• bandjzmom
    10 years ago

4 days now that my signs have been up, and not one single email from any neighbor. Quite disheartening. I see many houses here that have flowers, birdbaths, bird feeders, and wind chimes. You would think that those folks would jump at a chance to discuss nature. If I could just get them together, I know that I could inspire them to help the butterflies.
    Angie

Sponsored