Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
butterflyaddict

Preferred Passion vine

butterflyaddict
11 years ago

I have a wide variety of Passion vine in my yard. And I notice that if a Gulf Frit. egg is layed and hatched on one variety that cat does not take to a differnt variety? I've noticed this when I try to move a cat from the yard into a cage for protection. Anyone else seeing this?

Comments (5)

• wifey2mikey
    11 years ago

I have not seen this at all. I'm finding that my cats are happy to feed off whichever variety I give them. I only have two, though. P. incarnata and P. caerulea.

~Laura

• butterflyaddict
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input. I have both of those. Maybe its just a few picky eaters. I also have a Passiflora x 'Jeanette' which they love. And Passiflora phoenicia 'Ruby Glow', and Passiflora mooreana,but they won't even lay eggs on these two so I don't try feeding it to them.

Terry.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

Terry, I have the same thing here...I have P.caerulea that keeps getting eaten to sticks & I have a beautiful deep purple P.incarnata that is totally ignored!!! I have tried putting some of the GF cats on it & they will eat it but still I don't see any mama GFs laying eggs on it. I have a new "Lavendar Lady" in a pot(it won't survive my winter here west of DFW) & the mamas lay on it but I've only seen a couple of tiny cats...then I saw a couple of Carolina wrens having lunch! :o(
    I had a P.incarnata that I got with my Larval Kit from Mail Order Natives that they also ignore!!!
    I don't bring in cats to raise because I have such an abundance of them but I have moved them to see if they will eat other kinds of passifloras. I checked on some cats that I had moved a few days ago & only saw 2-3 out of 10 I had moved to the Deep Purple P. incarnata. There were places on the leaves that they had eaten but I saw one of the possible reasons the mamas don't lay eggs on it...a big spider had one of the cats in it's grasp!!! I don't use pesticides because of the cats but the predators are relentless!!! ;o(
    My understanding is that the red passifloras are poisonous to the GFs! I was told that 'Lady Margaret' is one exception because it is a hybrid but it didn't make it through our winter here, either!
    What area are you in?
    Take care,
    Lila

• butterflyaddict
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm about 60 miles SSW of New Orleans. Between the rain and all the Cats my P.incarnata has taken a beaten. I've spent $$$ on mail order plants to feed them but my wife is starting to complain so I'll have to back off. I've been having a problem with the wrens and the Lizards in my garden since it's a little small. I can check the fennel and passion vine one morning and have countless cats only to have them disappear a day or two later. The cages atleast give me some satisfaction. I have read that the red P.vine is not good for the cats, but I had to plant that one for my wife. thanks for the info.
    Terry.

• hagar3
    11 years ago

I accidentally found that Passion Vine was a host plant for Gulf Fritillaries when I saw the caterpillars on maypop vines and my grandaughter and I watched the butterflies emerge. My garden is full of Fritillaries and we now protect the Maypops instead of pulling them out of the beds. They seem to love common Maypops.

Byron