Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should I move the cats inside?

Posted by greylady-gardener 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 16:30

About four years ago, I collected the monarch eggs from a stand of wild milkweed that had taken over a garden in my front yard (which I had purposely left for them) :) That year I raised and released about 23 monarchs if I remember right.

I had to rip out all the invasive milkweed but planted several more 'tame' varieties out the back. This year I finally had a monarch discover them. After the lone visit that I witnessed, I searched the plants for eggs but was disappointed to find none, but yesterday I discovered two cats!! yay! ......even better, I found another one today. Now I am concerned about predators finding them and wondered if I can safely move them inside at this stage.....one is fairly large although not big enough to pupate yet. the others are kind of a 'medium' and a 'small' :)

advice is gratefully accepted.

this is a pic of our first monarch from that year. It was a male which my granddaughter promptly named 'Louie' :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should I move the cats inside?

Yes, you can take them inside. It is probably better at this point.

o

Thank you spiroan. I brought the smallest two in so far, but will have to wait until tomorrow to bring the biggest one in. Can't find the containers that I used before. In cutting some leaves to put in with one of them, I found another egg under one of the leaves so will have at least four monarchs and hopefully many more.

o

Congratulations on your few baby caterpillars.

o

So jealous!! Hi GG! Haven't seen even one here in Nova Scotia yet. Hopefully soon. The native Milkweed is beautiful. Oh, and your Curassavica seeds did well and are growing great.

All the best with the little ones!

o

so glad to hear about the seeds doing well.

sent you an e-mail

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here