Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chrysalis in sunlight

Posted by adellabedella 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 16:35

I had several big Monarch caterpillars that disappeared off of the milkweed the other day. I found a chrysalis and two caterpillars that had attached themselves to the eastern side of my wooden fence. This side of the fence is next to an empty lot that will begin construction any day.. When I saw two other caterpillars heading that way, I moved them. One is now a chrysalis in a crepe myrtle. The other is a chrysalis in a jar I have in the house.

Anyway, I am curious about the caterpillars/chrysalis on the fence. Can they handle direct sunlight? The two caterpillars that attached themselves to the fence appear to be dead. That side of the fence gets direct sunlight most of the day. Can the chrysalis survive that? I'm not going to move them now. I have more eggs and tiny caterpillars on my milkweed. I will encourage them to become butterflies elsewhere if needed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chrysalis in sunlight

The chrysalis/cats in direct sunlight should be fine.

John

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here