Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
efeuer

Proper way to handle Monarch eggs

Liz
10 years ago

I was walking today near my township municipal buildings. There is a pond there with various plants growing around it. Nobody tries to cultivate it much, or plant natives, but a few managed to sneak in, including several stands of common milkweed. I searched the young leaves on the plants and found a grand total of two Monarch eggs.(There were plenty of large milkweed bugs and a harlequin bug as well.) I was very tempted to take the eggs home on the spot, but I was not sure how to handle them. I apparently did well with the black swallowtails I just raised, since they are all pupating now, but I have never raised monarchs. If by some miracle I can find the eggs again, should I take the leaf with me, or cut the top of the plant to put in water? If I just take the leaf, won't it wilt by the time the eggs hatch out, and will the tiny caterpillars be able to survive on a wilted leaf? Should I put it in a plastic container with some other loose milkweed leaves on the bottom? With the black swallowtails, I puts sprigs of parsley and fennel in water. I don't have too many qualms about taking the eggs off public land, because I very much doubt they would make it where they are, and the property itself is not well-maintained or cared for.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH