Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
43 BST eggs in 2 days...what to do?

Posted by mschaetz 7 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 7, 11 at 17:14

I have collected all I can see so far. I planted some more dill seeds, even though it will not be big enough for these cats to use. Can I mail some of these to anyone? I have no idea and have never mailed eggs.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Can I keep them?

Let me say, I would like to try and keep all of them. But I don't want my greed to end up sacrificing some of the cats because of lack of food. I can buy some more dill plants I suppose. But isn't that going to have to be a whole lot of dill to feed that many?

o
RE: 43 BST eggs in 2 days...what to do?

What I do, is I try and keep some potted plants for them when they are really small, then as they get bigger, where they are eating a whole plant a day, I start buying parsley from the grocery store, like 99 cents for a bunch. Wash it REALLY well, and keep it in water in the fridge until they need more (but dont keep it too long since it needs to be as fresh as possible). I stick a few sprigs (more as needed) in little bottles of water and stays pretty good for them in the short time before they gobble it up. Has worked for me when I have that many. If you leave them in "the wild" they;ll be "sacrificed" to predators anyway. Good luck!

o

You can legally ship the eggs to someone who lives IN your own state. :) Do not ship outside your state, though.

o

Oh I had no idea you could only ship inside your state... but that makes since. Texas is a really big state :D

o

Shipments across state lines require USDA permits because the Plant Protection Act of 2000 defines caterpillars as plant pests. Doesn't mean people pay attention to it. Some joker has introduced cecropias into California. The first official "wild" California cecropia was found in April.

o

I always plant bronze fennel, that yields much more food than dill. I have an entire corner in my garden set aside for the fennel. It reseeds itself each year, but you must watch so it doesn't take over the entire garden.

Narda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here