Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eastern Tiger Photo - male or female?

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 17:18

I think most if not all of the female Eastern Tigers I've seen here have been the dark form but I'm not sure on this one. Is it a male with more blue than normal or a female with less blue than normal?
lost and found cat emerges

If I didn't mix up my pics, this is a side view of the same butterfly:
lost and found cat emerges

Here's another one that has no blue that I can see, so I think it must be a male:
This one took over a month to emerge

Here's a side view of the male:
This one took over a month to emerge

The first one says "lost and found" because it's one that we looked for in the house for over a week. It escaped the container when it was ready to pupate. I finally found it, in chrysalis form, but not attached to anything, just laying on my carpet by my cedar chest. It's a very lucky butterfly. I don't how it didn't get stepped on or eaten by my kitty in all that time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eastern Tiger Photo - male or female?

It's a male tiger with just a little blue, Christie. Most of the male tigers that show up here have zero blue, like the one in your third picture, but occasionally, one will show a little bit of it.
Congrats on raising all those tigers - that's rare!
Sherry

o

Looks male to me. Ours have more blue like the first one. Another way to tell is a tapering end and claspers on the abdomen. Sometimes right after they eclose it is difficult to tell because they are a bit swollen

So, pretty!
-Elisabeth

o

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I haven't seen any yellow females this year then, just the dark form.

o

Wow - that is amazing you found the chrysalis on the floor more than a week later and it was undamaged! You must have been going crazy wondering where it was?

What host plant do you collect the Tiger Swallowtails from?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here