Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White admirals!

Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 15, 12 at 17:28

On a recent trip to Bayfield, Wisconsin, we decided to go walking at the Apostle Islands Seashore, just north of Cornucopia, on the northwest coast of the Bayfield Peninsula. We walked two miles of the shoreline, along an established path, and saw about 25 white admirals. This was around 3 pm, on July 12, 2012. It was a warm day, sunny, and 88 degrees F.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White admirals!

Woo Hoo! I bet that was a great sight!

Sherry

o

I've never seen one so I'm jealous.

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 16, 12 at 11:20

I had never seen one before, either. One year we had a swarm of red admirals in our yard-that was impressive. I didn't know that white admirals existed, and had to look this one up. They are mostly black, and I suppose the dark color helps them warm up in cooler climates.

o

I'd love to see one but I don't think I have chance here. I tried to find a map showing what their range is but it's confusing.

o

It sounds like only "Yankees" will get White Admirals & us "Southerners" have to be happy with Red-spotted Purples!
Congratulations on seeing them!!! They are beautiful!
Photobucket

o

These northern butterflies are among my favorites. Here's a picture I took at Itasca State Park, in northern Minnesota.

Admiral

Enjoy!
Tucker

o

• Posted by ericwi Dane County WI (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 12 at 15:02

Thanks for posting the photo of the White Admiral butterfly. I have never seen this species where I live, in Madison, Wisconsin. The path we walked along followed the shoreline of Lake Superior, and there were some spectacular views of the lake, so I highly recommend it to anyone who ventures to the Bayfield peninsula. Diane & I weren't looking for butterflies, we were just hoping to find a good place to go for a walk in the woods.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here