Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mostone_gw

My favorite container for raising Monarchs

mostone
11 years ago

I took this outside to photograph it, but usually it's inside. Anyway, these hurricanes are easy to use, because I can just lift it off the plate to change the food and then put a clean plate underneath. Only problem is that I don't have enough of them...

{{gwi:510460}}

Comments (10)

• caterwallin
    11 years ago

I think that's a very good idea!
    Cathy

• NaturesFolly
    11 years ago

I use the tomato cage/ Paint strainer as a cage.. but I dont get the great view that you do.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

That's a smart idea. And it looks like home decor. : )

• terrene
    11 years ago

Well it's certainly one of the prettiest containers! I would be wary of using glass - heavy and it can break (I have fumble fingers and a tile floor).

I use large plastic clear salad boxes (about the size of a shoe box), but for a larger operation I love the cheap lightweight pop up mesh container bought last year. It has handles and is easily moved around, folds up for storage, etc. Not super well made, but was very inexpensive.

• christie_sw_mo
    11 years ago

I noticed my walmart now has pop-up mesh hampers(?) that zip so you can close them completely up. I couldn't find one like that when I was looking before. Mine is open on top. I turn it upside down but it doesn't sit flat on the floor. I need to get one with a zipper.
    For some plants, mesh containers are too airy and leaves wither too quickly. They're also hard to clean and my kitty cat caused mine to fold up with a couple butterflies still in it (they lived).
    Right now, I'm using a couple of those giant cheese ball containers with lots of holes poked in the lid.

• mostone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

My goal next year is 100 butterflies, so I think I'll do some inside in the hurricanes because they are fun to watch, but I think I'll also expand to NaturesFolly's tomato cage and paint strainer enclosure to keep some outside.

• imabirdnut
    11 years ago

I love the "art" of your idea!!!
    I personally use clear file boxes with plastic screening inside the tops & $1 bud vases from WalMart to prevent the cats from falling in!
    I was gone all weekend & my only 1 GST cat somehow fell in the vase & died! :o(
    That was the only GST cat &/or egg I've seen all year so far & was so sad!!! It hadn't ever happened before!
    Here is a picture...
    {{gwi:510461}}
    YUK!!! I needed to clean this box out...LOL!
    Lila

• butterflyaddict
    11 years ago

Very pretty mostone:

I went overboard and built a butterfly house this weekend. I have potted milkweed, passionvine and fennel inside to raise cats. I plan to wrap it this winter and use it as a green house to get a jumpstart on host plants.

• mostone
    Original Author
    11 years ago

imabirdnut - I use Glad Press and Seal around the stems at the tops of the vases to eliminate any access to the water for the cats. Sorry to hear about the accident.

Butterflyaddict - that's really great! I don't see my husband agreeing to that in our yard though.

I had another thought. I'll bet I could make an enclosure out of those hanging mosquito nets that are made to go over beds. They sell for about $10 on Amazon. Hhhmmm...

• tdogmom
    11 years ago

Gorgeous house! I raise mine in small 9-oz cups and 16-oz containers and I do NOT have any of the leaves/plants in water. Here's an example of some of my containers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Containers from My Butterfly Guide

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County