Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
r_lilly

Passiflora ID please!

R.Lilly
10 years ago

Hi all. I got some small plants from a coworkers yard earlier this year of a passionvine. I thought it was incarnata but it doesn't look purple enough to me. Can someone id it so I know?

Comments (8)

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

My passionflower books show lots of variations on P. incarnata, including some that look like yours, so it could be P. incarnata. My local maypops are purple - I don't know if the difference in color comes from genetic differences or soil or other growing conditions.

Another possibility is P. trisulca or any number of other passionvines on the markiet, including many hybrids.

What do the leaves look like?

Sherry

• R.Lilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

These are the leaves. (You can also see se of my flowers for the butterflies!!) the coworker I got it from got it from their neighbor. It's taken over her front yard and the flowers are rather small. She is a newby to butterfly gardening so when I told get she could have frit and zebras she was rather excited. Though she hasn't found any on it, and mine are too small to host anything right now.

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Am I seeing it right, are all the leaves three-lobed? If some are five-lobed, that can make a difference, since P. incarnata the species never has five-lobed leaves. Also, you say the flowers are small, which is unlike P. incarnata, whose flowers are medium to large.

Has this vine survived the winter outside in your co-worker's neighbor's yard, or did she just plant it this spring? P. incarnata/maypops is uniquely cold hardy, along with P. lutea, another North American native, that is.

You may need to ask your co-worker to ask her neighbor what it is, or, if she doesn't know, where she got it. That might help.

I'm guessing it's some hybrid of P. incarnata, since it's so commonly used in breeder programs - they want to put P. incarnata's cold hardiness in their hybrids.

Sherry

• R.Lilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

All the leaves are three lobed. It does survive winter here. And To me the flowers are small. I expected larger flowers but I can easily fit thus flower in my palm. It's no bigger than 2 in in diameter. I've never seen a passionflower until this year finding it in her yard. Ill see if I can't figure out of the neighbors know. Is it ok as a host?

• R.Lilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sherry I also just checked my email and seen that you emailed me about eggs for the swallowtail! I have them laying eggs everyday. Literally. I harvest eggs daily. I have 107 cats right now and counting!! I've been adopting them out to coworkers who have planted dill parsley and fennel. But they keep on laying those darn eggs!! I'll get some fresh eggs in the mail to you ASAP!!!

• MissSherry
    10 years ago

Thanks - I returned your e-mail regarding the black swallowtail eggs.

I'd estimate my purple passionvine flowers to be about 3" across, but the pink variety just might be naturally smaller. Or your vine could be a cross between P. incarnata and P. foetida, another North American native that has pink flowers. Regardless, if you find gulf or variegated frit eggs/cats on it and they thrive, it's a good passionvine.

Sherry

• rickinla
    10 years ago

There's a Passiflora Group on Facebook that can give you a positive ID in a matter of minutes. You have to join the group to post photos but those guys are experts at anything Passiflora.

• R.Lilly
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you ill look it up

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County