Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butterfly larva ID

Posted by biologyteacher60 OK7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 22, 14 at 18:02

I think this May be a giant swallow tail larva, but not sure. I found it on one of my Rue plants. He looks like a bird dropping.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butterfly larva ID

I think you are correct. That looks like a GST to me. Though I've never seen one, except here in pictures. I'm jealous. My rue is just tiny seedlings.

Martha

o

It will be my first, Martha. It's also my first year to plant Rue. I'm excited!

o

That is most definitely a GST! I have been lucky enough to find some on my rue too, and then this year on my wafer ash.
Just so you know, they eat very slowly, and rest a lot. Unlike BSTs who are voracious little piggies.

You are in for a treat when he or she finally ecloses, they are stunning!

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 23, 14 at 7:13

Hee, congrats, I've had them a couple of times in my life on various plants. I find the adult to look awkward and bulky, but still glad to see them.

o

Your so lucky that you found him/her I wish they came this far north.
Jacob

o

I'm so glad to find out they eat slowly, weed30. I have been worried about him. Does anyone know how long it takes to pupate? I want to make sure I have enough rue.

o

They spend two days in each instar and at least five days in the fifth instar. Keep that Rue comin'...

o

Interesting. So pretty. I planted my first rue plants too as soon as I saw the GST. And got 8 cats. Sadly 7 died from wasps eating them I was able to save one and raise it in butterfly
House. To my surprise, it wasn't a GST. It was eastern black swallowtail because it changed color when it got older. But as a baby looked like a bird poop heh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Butterfly Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here